Bioshock: Infinite

Andrewr05

I agree with alot of whats being said here, Bioshock was like the "Real Mcoy" i haven't finished 2 yet but its got a LOT to live up to before ill consider it a worthy swquel. Balls you have some good points, i wouldn't like all the big sister encounters to be scripted, perhaps have some scripted and some which are randomized.

The exploration would be nice but i guess thats more for RPG type games where you have the "slow pace" with the bioshock games their still 1st person so its meant to be driven forwards :)

This new game is going to be like deja-vu to me in terms of its core elements, the whole "rapture culture" has just been shunted to a new location.. granted im very happy to see this new environment, it reminds me of the Ugine Heaven benchmark :)

I really have to agree with Ballist here. Honestly, it was like Bioshock "Just-add-water" (no pun intended). In many ways it was good, but for the most part it was obviously dilute. It was as if the devs said "Well damn. We'll never get the same kind of scores that Bioshock 1 got from critics. Why should we bother?"

I really have to agree with Ballist here. Honestly, it was like Bioshock "Just-add-water" (no pun intended). In many ways it was good, but for the most part it was obviously dilute. It was as if the devs said "Well damn. We'll never get the same kind of scores that Bioshock 1 got from critics. Why should we bother?"

Oh, I think they wanted to improve and make Bioshock 2 better than the first, but didn't quite get there. It's probably because of the development team switches 'n' stuff, but despite the reason, it's still not as good as the first one was at the time it came out. Bioshock 2 had new features that the first one didn't, but for some reason they decided to take out certain other ideas and concepts out of the game, like the ability to not only continue forward, but to be able to go back and explore if you really wanted to. Not saying that it's something that everyone must do, but it was a welcome feature and I personally see no reason, not to have it. When I played Bioshock 1, I didn't even know I could go back, and honestly I was scared sometimes so I just wanted to finish the game already and rarely even looked back, but at times, certain quests required me to switch between levels, so it made me feel like it was not just a level, but a real underwater city that I could explore.

As for the Big Sister encounters, making them random would have added a higher level of suspense and fear, and maybe have 1 or 2 of those encounters be scripted in order for some cool thing to be triggered. Like in the trailer, where you walk in a room with a huge glass window, and a Big Sister jumps out of nowhere and breaks the window, flooding the whole place. That's cool, but when you're just exploring and doing quests from level to level, it should be random.

This also reminded me of the underwater roaming sequences that people wanted in Bioshock 2. That was new, but very poorly executed since all you did was walk around from place A to place B, without the possibility of exploration or underwater fights which would have been cool.

This new game is going to be like deja-vu to me in terms of its core elements, the whole "rapture culture" has just been shunted to a new location.. granted im very happy to see this new environment, it reminds me of the Ugine Heaven benchmark :)

I'm very interested to see how they perform this big shift from the bottom of the ocean to, up the sky and still keep the Bioshock formula. I admit that it's a pretty big challenge to be making such a sequel and I've seen this for the first time.

Edited by ballist1x

I think it just comes down to how you wanted to play the game then. I can definitely see how it could be fun to explore areas again and have the suspense of a big sister jumping out at you any moments but I personally didn't play the game for it's combat. I played bioshock and bioshock 2 for the story and settings, and that's probably why I liked bioshock 2 a lot more, I thought it had a very entertaining tale, specifically my favorite part was with the little sister, I won't go into detail though because I know some here haven't played it and that would be a rather big spoiler.

We'll let the devs decide if it's related or not. For now, it's all very much related.

It's 1912....it wouldn't be related to Rapture even if they wanted it to be. Yes it might relate to Andrew Ryan possibly, hell he might be one of the inhabitants. But people keep calling this a sequel, even though it's a prequel.

It's 1912....it wouldn't be related to Rapture even if they wanted it to be. Yes it might relate to Andrew Ryan possibly, hell he might be one of the inhabitants. But people keep calling this a sequel, even though it's a prequel.

I dunno, I can't really comment on this since we haven't had that much info yet, seeing how the game just got revealed to the public. Maybe they'll find a way to relate it, maybe not.

I think alex is right, it's probably not intended to actually relate to rapture. I doubt it relates to andrew ryan as he didn't even come to the US until 1919, supposedly anyway, I don't really know for sure. I just read it earlier while looking through the bioshock wiki.

I think alex is right, it's probably not intended to actually relate to rapture. I doubt it relates to andrew ryan as he didn't even come to the US until 1919, supposedly anyway, I don't really know for sure. I just read it earlier while looking through the bioshock wiki.

Maybe not directly, but I think it will relate to the previous Bioshock games in some way. The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe as this city was flying around, something went wrong and it all fell into the ocean and thus Rapture was born. I dunno. Not my job to make the game. Speculation is useless at this stage anyway. I'll just wait and see how it turns out.

Maybe not directly, but I think it will relate to the previous Bioshock games in some way. The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe as this city was flying around, something went wrong and it all fell into the ocean and thus Rapture was born. I dunno. Not my job to make the game. Speculation is useless at this stage anyway. I'll just wait and see how it turns out.

Actually I just rewatched the trailer and it does link to the other bioshock, but only in a small way, I doubt it actually links via the story. During the beginning of the trailer you see a small figurine in the water that is a big daddy, I believe it is this kind of method they will use to show how the titles may be the same but the story isn't connected. That's how I hope they do it anyway because I like seeing those kind of things, just passive details that you can pick up on as you are playing.

Now that I've looked into Bioshock Infinite some more, I can say that I'm definitely excited about this one, probably the most appealing thing about this one for me is that you are going to be developing a relationship with another person in the game. The reason I find this interesting is because it will expand on the idea that Bioshock 2 presented and that was that you had someone helping you, you had someone supporting you. In many FPS of this nature, by which I mean you are playing a "kick all butts" character, I think the idea of a sidekick/companion is really awesome because it allows for your vulnerabilities to be exploited and steers away from the idea that the character you are using is superman. That's one of the things I loved about bioshock 2 as opposed to the first, in the first you played this superhuman kind of guy and in the second you played as an original big daddy, so which one would you expect to be better off? Probably not the guy in an unfamiliar setting carrying a wrench. Many people speculated that making you a big daddy would make you overpowered but I think they went exactly the opposite, they allowed this big scary underwater suit freak to have weaknesses and receive help from others.