Guide- 200mm side fan in NZXT Phantom- 30mm thick version

I've opened up my case about 15 times since then to change other things around, and the fan hasn't hit anything for me. Unless you're riding in a Jeep playing on your Phantom (in which case pics or it didn't happen) I don't think there's anything to worry about: It's a full tower case, I don't foresee the thing rocking about on my desk.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Don't just read that quote, check the OP. there's a (crappy) video of me shaking the side panel like a maniac: While the fan's still on, then reattaching it and smacking the case like it's my btch. It's at the very bottom of OP, again sorry for quality but it's the best I could do atm.

Figured that can give you a firsthand view of how this mod is no more risky than a standard install: instead of just taking my word for it.

Here, actually I'll just post the link for anyone else that's just checking new posts and not re-checking OP:

Edited by dragonsdontfly

nice 'tucked in' fan mod you've got there!

sort of what i did with my 120 by the HDD caddie, the fan was 'pinned' snugly against the mobo tray by that single aluminum screw that locks the HDD gate. clearance was exactly 120mm no more no less.... perfect fit, no rattles whatsoever :thumbsup: :

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00427copy.jpg

LOL,the heatsink is quarter turned and would cool better the other way.

No it wouldn't. I've had the Hyper 212+ for two years. It cooled better that way in my previous case, it cools better this way in my current case.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

• 2 weeks later...

LOL,the heatsink is quarter turned and would cool better the other way.

Just a few minutes ago I decided to humor this response.

I tested it vertically, and my initial reason for avoiding it was proven correct:

If you turn the heatsink vertically, it pushes into the back of the fan very hard. This causes the fan blades to grind against the mesh screen on the side panel.

So unless you feel like bending the screen: You have to leave it horizontal. Honestly in the Phantom, this works better for me anyways (Comparing when I didn't have the side fan installed at all, temps were 2C lower both idle and under load.) A very nominal difference, but still a little lower.