Cooling fan required for OC'd corsair dominator ram

I put the heatsinks on the heatspreaders with thermal glue (kinda like paste, but sticky). I also had another ghetto mod where I had a 120mm fan held in place over my ram using only the tubing going by the ram and the mobo's umbilical chord. Here's a pic - it's from early 2009, don't complain about the gpu and board. :lol:

DSCN9117.jpg

Edited by l33t p1mp

• 2 years later...

Okay so I have a Coolermaster HAF XM Chassis and a very ugly Zalman CPU cooler. I have the Dominator GT 6 GB (3x2GB) and it is 2000 MHz. I am not planning on Overclocking, can I remove the ram cooler? It is very loud.

Okay so I have a Coolermaster HAF XM Chassis and a very ugly Zalman CPU cooler. I have the Dominator GT 6 GB (3x2GB) and it is 2000 MHz. I am not planning on Overclocking, can I remove the ram cooler? It is very loud.

Yes, you can.

I eventually pulled that fan off my dominators as well, at first I put them on a controller or a resistor wire to reduce the fan speed which quieted them down quite a bit. But eventuall I just got tired of that fan in the system and just removed it as it wasnt realy needed, just extra clutter.

I put the heatsinks on the heatspreaders with thermal glue (kinda like paste, but sticky). I also had another ghetto mod where I had a 120mm fan held in place over my ram using only the tubing going by the ram and the mobo's umbilical chord. Here's a pic - it's from early 2009, don't complain about the gpu and board. :lol:

DSCN9117.jpg

awesome ! ...

Those type fans were needed back in the day for DDR2 with over 2.1V, but with todays moduls all your going to do is blow dust & dirt into the top fins of your heat spreaders and fill any empty slots with dust. if you have nice air flow in your case you will be fine or better off with out them.

The best way to check memory modules temp is with a cheep Infrared Laser Thermometer, you can check all your hardware, chips and capacitors while running rig during testing, to see if anything needs more air flow across it. You can pick one up for about $25.00

Edited by Braegnok