Finally the 3870 X2 is reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised by the results...immature drivers more than anything I assume?

Hard to say could be drivers could be the Phenom. I would bet the Phenom first just do to the performance loss on the Nvidia cards :(

I was wondering why the 3DMark06 scores were so low, I figured it must have been run with a x2 AMD, I was close it was an AMD 4x...

You were close lol

Hard to say could be drivers could be the Phenom. I would bet the Phenom first just do to the performance loss on the Nvidia cards :(

Do you have any direct comparisons between the nVidia cards with the Phenom versus the Core 2s? The performance seemed all over the place with the Phenom.

Guest Raven65

To answer a couple questions,

I don't find the fans to be very loud.

Honestly compared to the 2900 they are silent.

Was it the Phenom? How does it perform on a core 2?

Well it may be the Phenom and that might explain why when I overclocked the card I had worse scores. Why not a core 2? AMD is ATI and AMD has a new platform that is suppose to be optimized to run with the new ATI cards. I have read some other reviews that were done on Intel systems and the X2 did very well. For you core 2 users sorry, OCC is trying to keep up with the masses and the trend in the enthusiast market is 4 cores. No we are not knocking 2 core users but in order to give the best results, we need to keep up with the times. We do choose the most mainstream processors in our reviews and right now the sweet spot happens to be the Q6600 on the Intel side and Phenom 9600 for AMD. So keeping the sweet spot is where we need to stay, some reviewers have QX9650s and one even has a QX9770 if we conducted reviews with those would anyone be happy. Those chips are expensive and why show something that 90% of our readers can't afford. Just to show how much fire power we have. In the future you might see a benchmark here and there with one or two of those processors but for a sole comparison in certain areas only.

I hope that it's a driver issue with the X2 , honestly I do like the card.

We do choose the most mainstream processors in our reviews and right now the sweet spot happens to be the Q6600 on the Intel side and Phenom 9600 for AMD. So keeping the sweet spot is where we need to stay, some reviewers have QX9650s and one even has a QX9770 if we conducted reviews with those would anyone be happy. Those chips are expensive and why show something that 90% of our readers can't afford. Just to show how much fire power we have. In the future you might see a benchmark here and there with one or two of those processors but for a sole comparison in certain areas only.

With that being said why not a review with a Q6600?

As paul stated

Why not a core 2? AMD is ATI and AMD has a new platform that is suppose to be optimized to run with the new ATI cards.

If we were to do that it would have had to be 16 benchmarks per graph that is alot of time. Paul is going to run it on an Intel Q6600 over the next few days to see how it does :)

Guest Raven65

Given some time maybe we'll start running things on the two platforms.

Due to some miscommunication the card did not get to me until Friday.

I don't know any website that can get a full review in roughly 2 days. (Welll really 1 since I worked my 24 at the Fire Dept yesterday)

I'm also sure that there are other websites who did it on a Q6600.

Dave mentioned that I will run some benches on the Q6600 that is true, as soon as I get time I will.

But lets look at the most appropriate Review. AMD launches Phenom and Spider with boards and video cards together this is all part of a package to promote their new platform, so why did just about everyone else do it on an Intel?. Sorry, but doesn't it seem like the most logical thing to do Run it the way it is suppose to be. Two years ago if I ran it on an Intel you would be asking why not AMD. In upcoming reviews I will use it on different Intel systems, so keep your eyes out for them.

Given some time maybe we'll start running things on the two platforms.

Due to some miscommunication the card did not get to me until Friday.

I don't know any website that can get a full review in roughly 2 days. (Welll really 1 since I worked my 24 at the Fire Dept yesterday)

I'm also sure that there are other websites who did it on a Q6600.

Dave mentioned that I will run some benches on the Q6600 that is true, as soon as I get time I will.

But lets look at the most appropriate Review. AMD launches Phenom and Spider with boards and video cards together this is all part of a package to promote their new platform, so why did just about everyone else do it on an Intel?. Sorry, but doesn't it seem like the most logical thing to do Run it the way it is suppose to be. Two years ago if I ran it on an Intel you would be asking why not AMD. In upcoming reviews I will use it on different Intel systems, so keep your eyes out for them.

Yea I would just like to see how the AMD Quad compares to the Intel Quad is all I was getting at. I think I already know that answer though...