Asus maximus extreme x38 wrong bios

hi all. I somehow flashed the wrong bios because now It won't turn on. all lights are on and nothing happens.. =(

any solutions? I have the bios backup in a bootable pen but how to do it?

thanks,

Marcio Oliveira

You can always try shorting the Clear CMOS pins on the motherboard, perhaps that might work, although it is highly unlikely.

I would suggest reverting to the original BIOS on a Gigabyte board (DualBIOS), but I am unaware of such a feature on Asus boards. Perhaps if you do a bit of digging then you may be in luck...

If these fail, you may have to send it in for a professional repair, or try and get hold of a working BIOS chip for your board yourself (although I would most certainly not recommend this unless you were extremely confident with hardware)

Edited by EuroFight

I sure you don't want to hear this but I have a feeling your out of luck becuase you can't run any sort of software to reflash it. maybe someone else has a good trick besides removing the bios chip and replacing it.

crap =(  yeah clear cmos don't work. it's really trashed bios

well I found a bios chip on ebay but I can't seem to find where  my bios is located. I'm reading the manual but I don't say "bios" in images.
here's the direct link for manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_Extreme/E3498_Maximus-Extreme-manual.zip

I know it's AMI bios.  I hope you can give some hints.

I must try everything because my system is good. All this  because of the maximus formula to rampage formula mod.  I tried the rampage extreme bios first. stupid. in everyway.  just beucase the board does not handle well with 4x2gb ram in overclock 

thanks all

Edited by MaRcIu

Generally Speaking, BIOS are 8-16 Pin ICs . I do not think you have a removeable one on your motherboard, unless you have some pretty dope soldering skils I don't think you can get away with swapping the old one with a new one flashed from a seller on the 'bays.

Edit: Still can't words'.

Edited by CAINuKe

You can use Asus EZ Flash 2 utility on the Maximus X38 motherboard, to update the BIOS without having to go through the long process of booting from a floppy disk and using a DOS-based utility. The EZ Flash 2 utility is built-in the BIOS chip so it is accessible by pressing <Alt> + <F2> during the power-on self tests (post).

Enter BIOS setup program. Go to the tools menu to select EZ Flash 2 and press <Enter> to enable it.

you can switch between drives by pressing <Tab> before the correct file is found. Then press <Enter>.

When the correct BIOS file is found , EZ Flash 2 performs the BIOS update process and automatically reboots the system when done.

I Flashed my X38 Maximus Formula to Rampage Formula BIOS and had issues at high overclocks,.. then flashed back to original Maximus Formula BIOS, if your having issues with the rampage Ver. Just go to (WWW.asus.com) to download the latest BIOS file you need. Save the file to a disk or a USB flash disk, then restart the system. your chip should be fine if you can get into power-on self tests (post).

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

It's appearing your last BIOS flash is corrupt or incomplete, if it is preventing posting. Standard methods using commands to flash will not work.

You have a few options to try. First power off system and change the jumper to Recovery Mode Position, install a bootable floppy BIOS disk into drive A: and restart the system, when the computer reboots there will be no video prompts, however you can monitor the update procedure using the floppy drive light and the PC speaker. When the PC speaker beeps and the floppy drive light is lit it means that it is currently copying the new BIOS onto the motherboard.

When the floppy drive light goes off and the PC speaker beeps (twice in most cases) the recovery should be complete. During the update procedure there might be pauses that looks like your computer is doing nothing, if so be sure to wait at least a minute to make sure the update is complete. When you are sure the BIOS update is complete and there is no more activity, power off the computer.

Change the jumper back into the original position, when you turn your computer back on your BIOS should be functional.

IF not,.. I know of only one other way that might work, call some local computer repair shops, ask them if they have a (eprom burner). Have them pull the BIOS eprom and write over it.

Last option is to simply replace the BIOS chip, which isn't difficult; it must be done carefully, however, to prevent damaging other motherboard components.

Replacing a BIOS chip should take less than 30 minutes to accomplish. 

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

thanks, I will solder another bios I am confortable at soldering.  my local shops does not have that kind of service unfortunately
is this the bios close to spi header? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/sam0482y.jpg/

I found a tutorial that when I get the new bios chip I turn it on without soldering and go to the flash programa and then swap to the bad bios and flash on the go.  with this I have a change to recover the bad bios and have a backup one!   just need to be sure the bios is the one in the picture :P

Edited by MaRcIu

Yes, that looks correct. Asus has 8-pin removable and non-removable BIOS chips, also 32-pin removable and non-removable.

I would go through Asus e-store, or contact Asus Support for New replacement, A warranty chip is $5.00 and $25.00 for non warranty, or you can send in your corrupt  chip and have it reflashed. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1