GFWL is ENDING!

ClayMeow

"Gaming" seemed the best fit for this thread since I didn't see a "Hallelujah" section...

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.

Source

With GFWL being replaced by Steamworks in Batman: Arkham Origins (see here) and the Windows Live Marketplace shutting down in three days (see here), I knew it was only a matter of time for GFWL to see its demise!

Still nearly a year away, but at least that means it's pretty much a given that no new games will feature it!!!!

About time Microsoft pulled the plug on that abomination. All it did was cause more problems than it attempted to "fix". I never saw a point for GFWL, as it was Microsoft's "solution" to a problem that didn't exist. $50 a year (initially) just so people could play multiplayer games with their friends. Um, hi, PC gaming has always been that way outside of MMOs. At least the price requirement was abolished relatively early on.

Like Andrew said, hopefully it'll get patched out for the likes of Fallout 3, GTA IV, BioShock 2, Dawn of War II, and any other game that uses it. If they haven't been patched already, lol.

There will probably be a new form of it once Xbox One gets settled. Perhaps they'll just do something like Xfire and Raptr (as not integrated into the game). Maybe we'll hear something at Gamescom. Still waiting for a PC client to use Blizzard chat without launching a game or using mobile app.

Edited by AZNguyen

You know, I personally didn't mind GFWL too much. The thing that got me the most was that I could never remember my old email address that I signed up with. That and the constant need to update and restart the game, only to download another update.

I understand however I was definitely one of the lucky ones. I heard some really bad stuff about the service as a whole.

Still, GFWL is the reason I have a 6,000 point Gamerscore and I've never owned an Xbox in my life  :rolleyes: