Cheap Laptop For my mom (Looking at Baytrails)

Also XP and browser support "end" makes waiting a less desirable option.

She mainly uses her iPad for daily browsing, but I still want her to have a modern usable computer if she needs to do something the iPad can't do.

Side note on the dell, Assuming it's the same design as the last one I bought with that style case (though they have a habit of changing them) it is a royal pain if you're not familiar with taking them apart to replace the HDD or do much of anything really :lol:  As in no access panel for such things you have to take it 80% apart to get to the HDD.  The last 15R I did an SSD upgrade on about the point where I got to the motherboard in one hand and the HDD still not out I remembered why I was charging labor to actually install the drive :-\ I can't see the bottom of that one because for some reason that pic is the ONE of all the pics that wont load for me on newegg and Amazon doesn't have a bottom pic (and I'm too lazy to look anywhere else after that) Hopefully that one is the version that has the access panel because it makes like SO much easier when they do.

I'll also say that dell case design feels VERY cheap though in reality seems just fine.  Just don't expect it to have a texture and "feel" of quality and all will be fine.  

As for ASUS, very hit or miss. Some of their laptops are engineering marvels, some like my old X38 are almost engineering marvels but a royal screw up none the less (easy parts access, low end dedicated GPU in MXM slot, yet terrible thermal performance and a case that "peels")

I could see either one doing everything she needs without issue though.

Hopefully that one is the version that has the access panel because it makes like SO much easier when they do.

It doesn't  :doh: I just looked at the picture and the bottom has no panels at all

Edited by razerfanboi

I would still look up tear down directions (Dell has the on their website other companies are hit or miss, mostly miss) but designs do get changed all the time and some of the new toshibas for example while they look to be a PITA are actually very easy to pop open and get to the basics.  

Granted none of them really seem all that hard to me considering fixing them is how I make most of my money, but it's frustrating when they make it way harder than it needed to be.