Game that takes most hard disk space

Jump4h

Well that all may be true. All I can say is the day I can't get a game in the store with a box and disc is the day I no longer play PC games. So it is my HOPE that games stay on some form of media if they have outgrown DVDs.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Deus Ex/Unreal Tournament installed 700MB and 900MB respectively.

Utter outrage it was.

:lol:

Back in the day it took an eternity to install that much data!

Try it now, it takes like maybe 5 minutes...

Well that all may be true. All I can say is the day I can't get a game in the store with a box and disc is the day I no longer play PC games. So it is my HOPE that games stay on some form of media if they have outgrown DVDs.

They've got a while before they outgrow DVD's IMO. It's feasible to ship 3-4 discs at the most in a box I would say, before it becomes cost prohibitive.

However, MP3 downloads still haven't seen of CDs in music stores ... but it's not long until they really become harder to find. I'd say developers would be able to save a lot of money by publishing through an equivalent of Steam, potentially meaning that they can stay independent and not get whored into a larger company.

This +1000000000 I couldnt agree any better! I hate not having a PHYSICAL copy of the game i bought! :angry: i can't believe the whole Digital Distribution thing has become a kind of new trend. (one which probably wont die out) Do you have any idea of the amount of money is skimped out by not making physical DVD's/(bluerays ect..) Its Huge! and you still have to pay The retail price for it! Screw that, IF steam games were HALF the retail price, then PERHAPS i MAY CONSIDDER it, but as things stand.. No way. I feel the exact as InCrysis, the day physical copies cease to exhist, will be the day i am no longer a gamer, and thats just a huge pitty and waste because its always been my dream to become a Games Designer (since i left Primary). :(

This +1000000000 I couldnt agree any better! I hate not having a PHYSICAL copy of the game i bought! :angry: i can't believe the whole Digital Distribution thing has become a kind of new trend. (one which probably wont die out) Do you have any idea of the amount of money is skimped out by not making physical DVD's/(bluerays ect..) Its Huge! and you still have to pay The retail price for it! Screw that, IF steam games were HALF the retail price, then PERHAPS i MAY CONSIDDER it, but as things stand.. No way. I feel the exact as InCrysis, the day physical copies cease to exhist, will be the day i am no longer a gamer, and thats just a huge pitty and waste because its always been my dream to become a Games Designer (since i left Primary). :(

Well if Steam was indeed half or even 15% less the price of retail, who would buy retail? Nobody - but it would then force the hand of developers to cease retail boxes altogether. So Steam being full-price, is still leaving some market share for physical copies ... you'd better hope Steam don't undercut regular boxed games in the near future :lol:

Well if Steam was indeed half or even 15% less the price of retail, who would buy retail? Nobody - but it would then force the hand of developers to cease retail boxes altogether. So Steam being full-price, is still leaving some market share for physical copies ... you'd better hope Steam don't undercut regular boxed games in the near future :lol:

I never thought id be saying this but Sigh.. perhaps Oldschool(? lol im only 19) people like me would buy, because nothing beats having the actual disk in a nice collectors edition boxset :P I guess your right, %50 does seem too ambiguous, but at least %15-20, that way steam users would'nt be getting ripped off ;)

When i bought F.E.A.R 2 and L4D i actually bought them in store only to bump into the acursed steam app upon install (neither box had steam advertised, nope not even in tiny print :angry2: ) i guess its not as bad though because i still have a disk and box, but that makes me often wonder.. whats the point of it being in stores if its a steam game? :blink:

Whats the point of it being in stores if its a steam game? :blink:

The publisher probably has a deal with the distributor ... and they both need a cut ;)

But yeah - the whole DD thing is here to stay (un)fortunately - delete as you see appropriate :lol: I'm 24 and remember the look on my friend's face when he had a DVD copy of the original Baldur's Gate and couldn't play it (because it was DVD) so gave it to me instead :lol:

I think everything will shift to memory cards before they shift to Blu-Ray. They are making more and more devices with built in memory card readers.

Aion comes in at a nice 18GB.

IDK if this counts buy my Steam folder is 47.5GB.

Edited by slick2500

I think games on Blu-ray will be mainstream before DD. I hate the idea of everything going DD.
Hate to break it to you, but whether you like it or not, DD is already mainstream. Just because you can still get physical copies doesn't mean DD isn't mainstream. Practically every single game that comes out nowadays is available for DD, and for old school games, that's often the only way to buy them legitimately, aside from eBay.

Personally, I still buy physical copies for some games (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Dragon Age: Origins, most recently), but I have nothing against DD and buy from Steam all the time as well.

I think Markiemrboo has over 100GB in his Steam folder ... possibly much higher!
Mine used to be huge, but I've since uninstalled most of my games and will only load the ones I play regularly. Once I'm done with a game, I'll uninstall it instead of keeping it there like I used to. Since I can download at 1.2MB/s from Steam, I don't really care if i have to download it all over again if I want to play it.