Game that takes most hard disk space

Jump4h

Brutal. As was Windows 95 on a stack of Floppies ... absolutely awful way of installing the OS, but far cheaper than a CD-ROM drive at the time!

Haha stack of floppies ^^ how big is windows 95? 50 MB?

Edited by Jump4h

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on the number of mods you use, Oblivion can get pretty big. My install is currently 9.3 Gigs

My current Oblivion install is somewhere around 20-30 gigs. :P

Dragon Age: Origins will probably beat that, though we won't know just yet. System requirements are listed at 20GB. However, that may take into account the toolset.

I'm sure, when it's released, Star Wars: The Old Republic will break the hard drive record for a game though....MMO with FULL VOICEOVERS and multiple dialog trees (and each class has it's own unique storyline)? Um, yeah. Finally a real use for the 1TB drives other than pr0n :lol:

Yep, Dragon Age is listed at 20GB as a requirement, but it could be more or less depending on what all you add to it. I'll have to agree with The Old Republic as well, I can't imagine that game using up anything less than 10 gigs minimum with heavy compression.

For console games, MGS4 takes up a 50GB Blu Ray disc and I'm sure FFXIII will be somewhere close to that for the PS3. For the 360, it'll probably be on like 10 DVDs lol.

Games are going to be on Blu-Ray before you know it.

Define "before you know it."

It won't be any time soon. Blu-Ray players in PCs hasn't become mainstream yet, and the move in PC gaming is to digital distribution.

Games are going to be on Blu-Ray before you know it.

Games have been on BRD for ~3 years now. :P

I think we'll see more PC/Windows games on USB drives before we'll see them on BRD.

It won't be any time soon. Blu-Ray players in PCs hasn't become mainstream yet, and the move in PC gaming is to digital distribution.

They are trying to push that route in the console world too. PSP Go, PS3, 360, Wii all have some level of digital content.

As I mentioned in another thread, Blu Ray discs cost too much for a start.

Not to mention that these game figures people are quoting are NOT direct from the disc - most are DLC or uncompressed upon install. It was an age before games shipped on DVD for PC games and I remember people brinigng them back to the store unable to work, as they didn't have a DVD-ROM drive ...

Define "before you know it."

I think games on Blu-ray will be mainstream before DD. I hate the idea of everything going DD.

It looks like the biggest I have is a heavily modded Oblivion install... a little over 22GB's. The next biggest would be Empire: Total War at about 16GB's.

Additionally, I just noticed that my program files folder on D: (games are the only applications I have installed on that volume) is almost 260GB's!!

I have a lot of games! haha

Edited by xlrwrite

I think games on Blu-ray will be mainstream before DD. I hate the idea of everything going DD.

I personally disagree. Partly, for the reason I mentioned above initially - 2x DL-DVD discs (theoretical 16GB data) costs less than 1x BD 25GB disc at the moment, as well as 360/PS3 games having the same content on different media (note: 99% of PS3 games don't make use of the 25GB space). Sure, that will change, but DVD is sticking around for a while as a media format. This is due in part to the fact people are still very happy with DVDs for films. With digital TV screens making full use of DVD resolutions, it's almost like a media upgrade for most folk (upscaling and all).

A lot of people are finding it hard to justify the conversion to Blu Ray films when DVD upscales quite well for most people on their large 720p screens (let's face it - most consumers buy whatever is best bang for buck, and that's rarely a 1080p panel), not to mention things like Netflix being available over Xbox Live and PSN - which will chip away at physical disc rentals over time.

Steam is a perfect example of where the gaming industry will head. Just look at how many games are available on Steam today ... initially, it was just a way of delivering Half Life 2 ... now it's a monster - and a successful one at that.

Add in the fact that Blu Ray internal drives are still extremely expensive, the fact that people can and do still burn to DVD with ample capacity, and you find yourself wondering when pre-built manufacturers will ever be able to justify putting BD-ROM drives in as standard, while keeping costs right down. It simply doesn't add up right now (as much as I would like it to - BD-RW would be great if it were affordable - but buying a 1TB hard disk is the cheapest option for me these days for backups).

It's questionable if Blu Ray is really the format to take us into the future ... it won the recent 'physical' HD media war, but it's still looking uncertain going forward.