OCC Forums

paulktreg

Technology has come a long way, big companies have ruined overclocking as a competition on hwbot etc. unless you happen to be one that is sponsered by one then u can play or if you have very deep pockets...

And with HWBOT it is so confusing with all the different leagues - Pro OC, OC, Enthusiast, Hardware Masters, etc 

Our Benchmark sections has practically gathered dust in the past year... Plus, there have not been any good overclocking contests between different forums either - the last Forum War was over 3 years ago.

We should organize an "Overclockers Club Overclocking Challenge" (OCCOC) - to put the "Overclock" back into "Overclockers club".

Everyone on the forum would be welcome and we use some of the latest CPU/GPU/RAM benchmarks to battle it out for fun.

Nothing to lose, no big prizes to win - just a good ol' contest for e-peen and perhaps a custom group title like OCCOC Winner '14 with Tier 5 Donation privileges.

What do you guys think of that ? 

It's a nice idea, but I think overclocking's gotten to the point where people see the difference in benchmarks, but can't relate it to what matters in a user's day-to-day experience.

I would rather have a contest where someone measures some of their daily tasks (like gaming, web browsing with lots of tabs, video encoding, excel calculations, etc.) with everything at stock settings. Then they overclock parts or all of their system and measure everything again. Then they report the difference of whether it helped or didn't, and by how much.

We could gather a list of tasks where overclocking helps, and someone can write a guide about it. Everyone that participated can get entry into a prize drawing.

I can't see that working well, for a whole number of reasons... 

1.) The games are not free, with very few having built-in benchmarks plus using FRAPS to measure the average FPS is more effort and more variable if not done correctly.

2.) How do you measure your web browser ? Perhaps you would have to manually time how long a page takes to load, but that really is more dependent on your Internet speed which is highly variable. 

3.) Excel calculations would also require you to own Excel.

It would be a lot harder to implement such a contest, plus most people would rather just let a benchmark run and get a score as it takes a minimal amount of effort.

1. It's using whatever games a person has. We're all not getting the same game and testing the benefits of overclocking for a specific game.

2. Your internet speed will most likely be the same speed. Say you're testing to see how long it takes for 15 browser tabs to generate at stock. Say it takes 10 seconds at stock. Maybe overclocked it takes 5 seconds. That means an overclock had an effect. If it still stayed at 10 seconds, then it probably doesn't matter because what's taking longer is getting the data from a website, not processing that data into generating what you end up seeing.

3. It doesn't have to be Excel, Excel was just an example. Anything someone uses that uses processing usage.

The whole point of this contest is for a person to measure THEIR OWN activities with PROGRAMS THEY CURRENTLY OWN, and to see how OVERCLOCKING BENEFITS or doesn't benefit their activities. There's no point in overclocking if you're not going to benefit from it. Might as well just undervolt your system and save some money on electric costs.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point in overclocking if you're not going to benefit from it. Might as well just undervolt your system and save some money on electric costs.

I couldn't agree more. People are still hanging on to the old 'more is better'. Often, very high overclocks actually decrease every day usage, if they are unstable. Maybe not by much, but at little can be enough. What is needed more is some of those guides we've seen recently, from Jim I believe. Guides that show how common people can improve their computing experince, i.e. freeing up space on their hard drive. Maybe a guide on how to set up your own NAS server with FreeNAS, how to create a RAMdisk (many people have lots of wasted RAM in their PCs) etc. Stuff like this might also encourage people to have a go with, say, a NAS server or a web hosting server.

There's no point in overclocking if you're not going to benefit from it. Might as well just undervolt your system and save some money on electric costs.

I couldn't agree more. People are still hanging on to the old 'more is better'. Often, very high overclocks actually decrease every day usage, if they are unstable. Maybe not by much, but at little can be enough. What is needed more is some of those guides we've seen recently, from Jim I believe. Guides that show how common people can improve their computing experince, i.e. freeing up space on their hard drive. Maybe a guide on how to set up your own NAS server with FreeNAS, how to create a RAMdisk (many people have lots of wasted RAM in their PCs) etc. Stuff like this might also encourage people to have a go with, say, a NAS server or a web hosting server.

Yeah, RAMDisk is great. I use SuperCache (same company that created RAMDisk) on my work laptop (they're still using HDD's, crazily enough), and it makes a huge difference in performance.

I've noticed this trend, as well. More people are going to Reddit, which has several subreddits for PCs, gaming and hardware. Their buildapc section has over 200k users. On the whole, this is positive and allows smaller forums to build a better community. Absolute beginners don't really post here now.