PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Fogel

I really don't understand how developers get so pissy about second hand sales.

You don't get that with any other media, (Dont get DVD's only the first buyer can watch) or any other industry. You don't get Ford want a cut every time their car is Re-sold.

The no backward compatibility is lazy to me. I dont own a console, but it sure would annoy me knowning that in order to keep my old games playing, I not only need to keep the disc but I also need to keep the old console.

Just more reasons to stay PC gamer! :D

My internal rage meter begins to tick like a Geiger counter in Chernobyl at the fact that Microsoft would put a less than jaw dropping GPU in it's next console. The fact that developers shoot for the lowest common denominator when developing multiplatform games means that even if the PS4 blows that 3rd Xbox out of the water, the difference will be trivial in games, as well as anything that ends up on the PC. This is only made worse by the fact that Microsoft holds plenty of control with DirectX and could easily slow the progress of state-of-the-art PC games with an interest in keeping the 3rd Xbox relevant.

• 10 months later...

Do does it have a similar service to Xbox Live? I read rumours that it does :/

As in $60 a year just to be able to do anything online? Haven't heard anything yet. It does have Gaikai, built-in Remote Play for everything, and plenty more.

OCC article on the PS4.

More info and pics to come, just wanted to get it up now.

Set to arrive holiday 2013, so get those wishlists started now!

Some of the titles shown tonight include Infamous: Second Son from Naughty Dog, Killzone: Shadow Fall from Guerilla Games, Knack from Japan Studio, DriveClub from Evolution Studios, The Witness from Jonathon Blow (creator of Braid), and others. Blizzard is bringing Diablo III to both the PS4 and PS3, while Bungie is bringing its newly revealed Destiny to the console. A new Final Fantasy is also on the way, though Square Enix didn't reveal a name, Capcom showed off its new Panta Rhei game engine, and Ubisoft revealed Watch Dogs will come to the PS4.

Added videos to the post as well as links to videos of some of the games.

Pretty good press conference in my opinion. Surprised they just came out with the hardware specs like that.

The x86 architecture is a huge step up. Will make consoles games easier to make and console ports (you know this will happen) easier to port.

We lose backwards compatibility due to this, but in reality, I probably played 3 PS2 games on my 60GB PS3 so it's not a big deal at all.

Looking forward to seeing the actual console and a list of launch games at E3.

Do does it have a similar service to Xbox Live? I read rumours that it does :/

Rumors are they're going to add a service called PlayStation World. The free version will still let you play online and chat, but the paid version will essentially be PS+ on crack.

The x86 architecture is a huge step up. Will make consoles games easier to make and console ports (you know this will happen) easier to port.

We lose backwards compatibility due to this, but in reality, I probably played 3 PS2 games on my 60GB PS3 so it's not a big deal at all.

I'll bet that within two months of release someone has hacked the PS4 and installed a software emulator so they can play the older games. I'm sure Sony could do the same or even install a chip to do it, but that would then compete with their game streaming service, so they won't do that. After all, console games are developed and first tested on PCs.