can't overclock since installing new graphics card ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a perplexing situation, that's for sure. Do you have the latest BIOS?

The only thing I would try is to see if it's OS related. If you can create a Linux USB boot drive and see if the overclock holds and doesn't crash there, then you can target your Windows OS as part of the issue.

I'm in agreement with El_Capitan.  Make sure you have downloaded and flashed the latest BIOS.  And even if you have it wouldn't hurt to reflash and reload optimized defaults and start from there.  

To put any power supply questions to rest, grab a multimeter and check your 12v rail with the computer running under load (OCCT, Linx, Prime95 etc.) and make sure that the 12v rail stays within +/- 5% tolerance.  Personally I doubt it is your power supply, and am leaning more towards the BIOS or an issue with Windows.

If it were me I'd;

1) confirm latest BIOS - reflash if needed

2) check 12v rail with PC under heavy load

3) reinstall a fresh copy of Windows

If none of those resolve the problem - then you could reasonably suspect that it is an issue with the video card itself.

update ! i have increased my cpu frequency  as my bios calls it from 200 to 220 and im running at 3.412gig . windows however reports it as 3.1  but i verified with cpu-z and cpuinfo version 1.3 at 3.412Ghz so wtf is going on lol :) im going to stress test now and hope i dont smell smoke 

Before spending a lot more time (and potentially running out of return or exchange time) I would probably send the card back.  By your description it is the only thing in the system that has changed, and you've exhausted everyone's suggestions of potential fixes.  If the next card does the same thing................ well at least you have ruled out the video card being the problem.

the card works fine , i tried it in my other pc and can overclock the tits off it , as a hunch i downgraded my bios to 1 previous and although it let me overclock it would go into a boot loop on restart . im coming to the conclusion that it is a motherboard issue tied in with some kind of irq issue . but the real strange thing is , if i chuck in my old 9800gt in the second pci-e 16 slot , the computer overclocks fine and runs totally stable , so i might just leave it in there ?