Free Anti Virus Recomendations

SpeedCrazy

Now i know this can o worms has been opened in the past but i think something up-to-date would not go amiss.

Back Story:

I have been using AVG Free and it has worked fairly well, it has found and eliminated a few viruses and kept my computer running fairly smoothly, but it insits on hijacking my browsers and its update this morning was the last straw.

I was in the middle of working on a research paper and avg started up, its scheduled to run Thursday mornings at 8, no problem, it asked to update, not a problem i hit update and went to refill my coffee. Come back and it has closed and reset my browsers. Like completely, search  and home page is now avg and my history, login data, cache, and cookies are all gone. Screw you AVG i'm done.

I used to use MSE but after seeing the test results for it toward the end of last year i jumped ship, but it never did me wrong so i'm not adverse.

Question:

My question therefore is not about which is best virus wise but which is best usability and user friendly wise. (I weekly run malwarebytes and super anti spyware, i jsut need something that will run and catch most stuff should i forget)  Which is most customizable and least intrusive?

Thank y'all,

speed

I have been an MSE user for years, but also saw its poor test results.

Although I havent switched my main PC over to this yet, I did install it on my 'Server' Windows 8.1 machine.

It has only been running a couple of days, but it seems to be a pretty good solution.

Edited by xPETEZx

Actual AV-Comparatives.org results aside, I'm a happy MSE user on all my personal PCs.  I don't consider myself a high risk user though and most of the time I'm behind a NAT router.

It isn't obtrusive, easy to configure, updates regularly in the background and just goes about it's business without bothering me.

I've also been impressed with Panda Cloud Anti-Virus that I recently put on a couple laptops I was repairing.  The customers have been happy and no complaints as of yet.

It just did fairly poor on AV-Comparatives.org last update.  Frankly nothing I'm that concerned about although I do respect their work and findings.  They are a valuable resource, but not the know all end all. 

Really a personal preference.  You'll find the Avast! faithful, the Avira faithful, the AVG faithful and so on.  I'm not claiming that MSE is the best free AV, just the best free AV for me.

But again, I want to emphasize that I've been really impressed with the Panda Cloud Free AV.  Much like MSE, it's a snap to install, easy to configure and doesn't constantly nag you or affect your productivity.

Really a personal preference.  You'll find the Avast! faithful, the Avira faithful, the AVG faithful and so on.  I'm not claiming that MSE is the best free AV, just the best free AV for me.

But again, I want to emphasize that I've been really impressed with the Panda Cloud Free AV.  Much like MSE, it's a snap to install, easy to configure and doesn't constantly nag you or affect your productivity.

Yeah i have had no problems with AVG itself, its done its job, but the 'added functionality' is rather irritating.

I'll give panda a go.