[SOLVED]Best 240GB SSD

IVIYTH0S

I'm looking to turbocharge (and power save) my laptop with an SSD, 240GB will be adequate. I have a ton of movies on it right now and I still have only used 170GB (out of 750GB, which will be moved to the external enclosure I carry with me and the 500GB in that will either be sold or used as a backup drive)

I'm either going with this:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=191399

or one of El-Capitan's drives for $240 (Sandisk Ultra or Mushkin Callisto Deluxe)

Can which would be my best choice, or if there is anything better for the money you can recommend let me know. (I'd prefer to stay $250 or under, but I'd got with a maximum of $260)

Thank ya kindly!

Went with OCZ Agility 3 for $210! Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

It is not really what you are looking for, but have you considered a hybrid drive? You might be better off if you need a lot of space :dunno:

Nah I'm I thought I would...but my drive is packed with stuff and it's still well under 240GB. The speed and power consumption of an SSD are far more valuable, my sandybridge laptop feels like a socket 478 celeron with a 5400rpm harddrive cramping its style

Whatever you can find for cheap that's relatively reliable (so pretty much anything).

To be perfectly honest my old first generation Vertex drives are just as fast in real use as my Vertex 3s.

I'd stay away from the first-gen Indilinx drives (any Vertex/Falcon/Torqx/X256) unless you're comfortable flashing the newest Supertalent firmware to it before you do anything else. The older firmwares have a bug in them that bricks the drives. I barely got mine to come back after a lot of frustration but they've been rock-solid since. :lol:

You can get the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe for $239 with free shipping at Newegg. That saves you around $10 bucks over the Agility 3 at Amazon. The Amazon deal has free shipping too but it is their Super Saver Shipping option which has been notoriously slow for me.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226226

Whatever you can find for cheap that's relatively reliable (so pretty much anything).

Agreed. Right now it's all about the price point. If you're not in too much of a hurry keep watching the Newegg eBlast deals as they seem to run a SSD sale every week.

You can get the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe for $239 with free shipping at Newegg. That saves you around $10 bucks over the Agility 3 at Amazon. The Amazon deal has free shipping too but it is their Super Saver Shipping option which has been notoriously slow for me.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226226

+1. Good performance and relatively cheap.

I'd stay away from the first-gen Indilinx drives (any Vertex/Falcon/Torqx/X256) unless you're comfortable flashing the newest Supertalent firmware to it before you do anything else. The older firmwares have a bug in them that bricks the drives. I barely got mine to come back after a lot of frustration but they've been rock-solid since. :lol:

I'd prefer a much newer drive with the dedicated 16GB sector for garbage collection then the first gen tech, thanks for that tidbit of info though. What do you think I should do? Agility or Chronos?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226

Agreed. Right now it's all about the price point. If you're not in too much of a hurry keep watching the Newegg eBlast deals as they seem to run a SSD sale every week.

Is it really worth the $10 over the Agility, I've always heard Mushkin are top tier as far as memory manufacturers go.

I'd get it at Amazon for my Prime 2 day shipping (and to avoid Newegg taxing the fun out of it :P)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0057VOVE8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

+1. Good performance and relatively cheap.

So is everyone in agreement that I ought to get the Mushkin over the Agility??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I think probably most all of us will A - recommend what we have confidence and experience with or B - recommend what fits into your budget. As Waco already pointed out shoot for the best pricing on $ per gigabyte because for the most part you'll probably be satisfied one way or another. I had a couple problems with the older OCZ SSD drives and swore them off until I got a hold of a good Agility that worked great and I actually ended up selling that one to Blue Panda. To my knowledge it's still working perfectly.

I went with Crucial SSD drives for my own personal rig, but I've used the Mushkin Chronos Enhanced in a couple recent builds and the end users seem really happy with them.

I'd also like to point out that speed benchmarks are just that when it comes to SSD performance. They are benchmarks. Regardless of whether you get the slowest most reliable SSD or one of the newer barn burners, the experience moving away from platter drives is astonishing.