need to replace old lappy HDD w/SSD

Crawlerz246

thanks for all the recommendations people! does this look about right to you? ofc I will wait till african american friday. his bday is dec 5th anyway. he'll have to wait.

If I'm not mistaken, Agility 3 was 69.99 recently

I own Agility 4 and it really moves, even on data 2 controller

Also own Sammy 830 and Cruicial M4. They all work great.

One thing you should know about ssd upgrade is that your OS

Will need an upgrade to w7/8 to make it last, trim and garbage collection.

Currently some vendors have a pretty high return rate on SSD drives... Intel has the lowest return rate

In the past OCZ as well as Corsair and a few other of the big-name companies had a bad reputation because of the early Sandforce drives and their wonky firmware. In the past year or two they've really stepped it up and I don't think they've had anywhere near the same number of failures as the first few generations of drives.

In the past OCZ as well as Corsair and a few other of the big-name companies had a bad reputation because of the early Sandforce drives and their wonky firmware. In the past year or two they've really stepped it up and I don't think they've had anywhere near the same number of failures as the first few generations of drives.

Not to mention OCZ almost always being the most aggressively priced, so more sold, more chance of failure.

If this topic was made 3 years ago, I could understand.

but if you cannot afford a 128GB SSD for under 100$ then you probably should not own one.

it does not matter what brand you get but it does matter the model.

if he wants a crucial then buy him a crucial M4, you do not need the top of the line model.

EDIT:

the easisest way to move the information over is to use ANOTHER computer

remove the HDD from the laptop and plug them both into your computer (you will need 2 sata slots)

ALWAYS UPDATE SSD FIRMWARE FIRST

if your motherboard supports AHCI - you must plug the SSD in one of the first two slots, SATA0 or SATA1

download a free program easeUS partition master

remember do NOT copy a drive, you must CLONE the drive

at the top click wizard - clone disk

Edited by potatochobit

Not to mention OCZ almost always being the most aggressively priced, so more sold, more chance of failure.

OCZ uses Indilinx or sandforce 1221. Isn't that the same tech that intel uses in their ssd?

There is a lot of bad hype about their ssd's.

none that can confirm and I own Agility 4 128gb that is at 65% full and still moves like new.

Ymmv I guess

OCZ uses Indilinx or sandforce 1221. Isn't that the same tech that intel uses in their ssd?

There is a lot of bad hype about their ssd's.

none that can confirm and I own Agility 4 128gb that is at 65% full and still moves like new.

Ymmv I guess

Firmware is everything with SSDs, OCZ had some firmware mishaps that no one will let them live down...and people just simply can't flash right I'm guessing. Both of my OCZ drives have been perfect, my vertex 2 is probably about 15ish months now and my agility 3 is maybe 6? months. Not one problem

Firmware is everything with SSDs, OCZ had some firmware mishaps that no one will let them live down...and people just simply can't flash right I'm guessing. Both of my OCZ drives have been perfect, my vertex 2 is probably about 15ish months now and my agility 3 is maybe 6? months. Not one problem

I have two Vertex 1 drives (using Supertalent firmware) as well as three Sandforce based drives. With updated firmware none of them have issues though they did before everything was ironed out.

Today you can be pretty confident of the reliability as long as you have the newest firmware on the drive.

I didn't update firmware when I installed my OCZ Vertex 4. in retrospect I should have? can I do it with OS installed or will it mean I will have to reinstall OS? and which firmware is best?

It's hard to see any reason not to update to the newest as it always fixes things and sometimes improves performance.

In my experience, firmware updates have never wiped my data but there always is the risk so I'd backup what you deem important (or better yet, image the entire drive)

I've also found the bootable firmware flashing utility is the best method as I the last two times I used the windows version I had complications. (Vertex ran hot and performed inconsistent before I reflashed with the standalone utility, and my Agility 3 wasn't recognized as a boot drive until I reflashed with the utility) Of course I was running off of the drives when i tried windows flashing so that may have been why it didn't work (since when i first got them, I flashed them as secondary drives in windows. That may be the key to using the windows ok)

So definitely burn a copy of the utility (or run it off of USB if you're like me) and then update your firmware. After backing up of course.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I never see a reason not to update to the newest as it always fixes things and sometimes improves performance.

In my experience, firmware updates have never wiped my data but there always is the risk so I'd backup what you deem important (or better yet, image the entire drive)

I've also found the bootable firmware flashing utility is the best method as I the last two times I used the windows version I had complications. (Vertex ran hot and performed inconsistent before I reflashed with the standalone utility, and my Agility 3 wasn't recognized as a boot drive until I reflashed with the utility)

So definitely burn a copy of the utility (or run it off of USB if you're like me) and then update your firmware. After backing up of course.

what app should I use to image the SSD? I have plenty of space on my secondary HDD. (I was too effing stupid to do it when i installed the SSD, better late then never)