One cooler to rule them all!

ir_cow

so i've been building a collection of coolers to find something that will cool my 3930k.  Even though its 130TDP I don't really think thats the case. Unless each company is lying about its thermal dissipation which could be true.

Basically run Prime95 until to tapers off or hits 85, usually after 20-30minutes it stops going up and I don't have time to run each for 24hours.

Anyways I've only tested a few but I'll post them all when Im done. Might be a few days, I lost the screws to the waterblock (over never had them)

Any bets on the worst and best coolers :) ?

Intel Stock

Corsair H60

Corsair H100

Intel Liquid Cooler

Antec 620

Coolmaster hyper 212 Evo

Bitspower Summit EF Block w/ 240 Rad

Bitspower Summit EF Block w/ 360 Rad

IMG_1339.JPG

so i've been building a collection of coolers to find something that will cool my 3930k.  Even though its 130TDP I don't really think thats the case. Unless each company is lying about its thermal dissipation which could be true.

Basically run Prime95 until to tapers off or hits 85, usually after 20-30minutes it stops going up and I don't have time to run each for 24hours.

Anyways I've only tested a few but I'll post them all when Im done. Might be a few days, I lost the screws to the waterblock (over never had them)

Any bets on the worst and best coolers :) ?

Intel Stock

Corsair H60

Corsair H100

Intel Liquid Cooler

Antec 620

Coolmaster hyper 212 Evo

Bitspower Block w/ 240 Rad

Bitspower Block w/ 360 Rad

attachicon.gifIMG_1339.JPG

Best : Bitspower Block w/ 360 Rad

Worst : Intel stock

Heck, here's the order I guess they perform :

Intel Stock

Coolmaster hyper 212 Evo

Intel Liquid Cooler

Corsair H60

Antec 620

Corsair H100

Edited by Knight_72

I think the Custom loop is going to be the same, heck I bet at stock even the h100 and Intel LC will be all the same. I'm thinking I might have to devote more time and do both stock and OC @ 4.5ghz

edit: I ran the Intel stock and it couldn't keep 85c at stock. I had to stop it because I was scared it would damaged the chip even with the thermal throttling. I don't know why Intel even made a cooler than can't keep its own chips cool at stock.

Heh, the stock cooler looks like the ones shipped with Pentium D 800-900 back in the days.

They were so crappy that at stock my CPU would reach 80

I use to have a custom loop on a i7 920 but it's a real pain and the rez kept cracking. If you don't switch out parts on a weekly basis than a custom loop is okay and hassle free if you do it right.

edit: Ive been using a H100 on this 3930k since it came out and I keeps things alright @ 4.5ghz

Intel Stock = worst

BPS EF / 360 = best

If you have a simple loop (cpu only) and leave enough hose length you can swap out about any part in you rig without tearing apart the loop.  It's not quite as easy as working around an air cooled solution, but it is still doable.

I only drain and clean my loop once a year, about the same time I'd be doing a complete tear down and clean up any way, so for me maintaining my loop isn't much more work than anything else I'd be doing.

Of course that 360mm rad with BPS ef would be the best. ;)

Worst Intel.

Best : Bitspower Block w/ 360 Rad

Worst : Intel stock

Heck, here's the order I guess they perform :

Intel Stock

Coolmaster hyper 212 Evo

Intel Liquid Cooler

Corsair H60

Antec 620

Corsair H100

This list more is THE appropriate list for you.

the rez kept cracking.

The max temp for acrylic is 90c.  This is the temp where it can be shaped.  At 100c the acrylic melts.

Just curious what conclusion can you make based on this fact?  The rez was experiencing thermal contractions or the rez never came close to that temp.

Why was the rez cracking?

stress on the threads cased micro fractures which ultimately lead to failure. Usually the glue would hold it for a few months. I've cracked 3 reservoir but I may just be me and bad luck.

edit: nothing to do with heat, I think normally the o-rings would fail on a block before anything else. But from my experience I don't trust anything plasic.

also I lost the screws for the waterblock so I won't get around to replacing them until september when I get back. People will just have to hold the guesses until than.