The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

bp9801

I am looking forward to this but it is hard for me to excited about Tolken anymore. I mean with series like the Belgariad and the Song of Ice and Fire the entire LOTR series seems dry by comparison.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to this but it is hard for me to excited about Tolken anymore. I mean with series like the Belgariad and the Song of Ice and Fire the entire LOTR series seems dry by comparison.

I have to disagree although A Song Of Ice and Fire is very good, watched the first series and currently reading book three, part one.

I'm a little dissapointed it will be split into two films. It isn't a long book when you compare it to any of the LOTR trilogy and I'd of liked one epic film although I'm sure it'll be a blockbuster anyway.

The Hobbit may be a shorter story in theory when compared to the LOTR trilogy, but there is a LOT going on in it. If Jackson were to condense it to 2-3 hours, there'd be so much left out. There's so much action in the Hobbit, but it also has a lot of character development that I hope comes across in the movie.

Without Hobbit/LOTR, would we even have Song of Ice and Fire? Tolkien arguably created the genre.

The Hobbit may be a shorter story in theory when compared to the LOTR trilogy, but there is a LOT going on in it. If Jackson were to condense it to 2-3 hours, there'd be so much left out. There's so much action in the Hobbit, but it also has a lot of character development that I hope comes across in the movie.

Boll**ks to the character development, three hours of action will do me fine. :P

Thems's finghtin' words punk!

Are you crazy...I have liked the Game of Thrones series but cmon, this is TOLKIEN!

I would have to say I have enjoyed all the George Martin books but I don't know if I would put them in the same category as Tolkien. Not that most of the Martin are not written well... they are. You also have to read the Silmarillon to get a better feel for the scope of Tolkien, and then there is also The Children of Húrin.

One of my favorite authors is Stephen Donaldson for the Thomas Covenant and the Gap series.