El_Capitan's System Builds

El_Capitan

Because they have the money to spend. Why do people spend a bunch of money on a new car when they can get a bike?

+1 I use public transportation or bike. I don't own a car. Saves a lot of money and it's green!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 I use public transportation or bike. I don't own a car. Saves a lot of money and it's green!

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make, but that works too. I just wish that we had decent public transportation out here in the mid west. When you live in a town of only a couple thousand people and the nearest decent sized town is 60-70 miles away, it's kind of hard to get by without one.

I dont own a bike because the weather around here is to crappy. Its either raining, cold, or blowing like a tornado around here. I factored in one year the days I would actually be able to ride a bike and after seeing that I told myself I am not getting one.

BTW: nice computers there El_capitan

SO i built my current rig.

You're a big fan of Samsung Spinpoints, I see.

I personally have had bad luck with 3 of them, including one of them failing catastrophically... and exploding. Literally. Parts of the PCB were found on my optical drive, some 9 inches above it, and in another cage.

I think it was actually just a platter that was messed up, and it eventually just wobbled to death.

The other two were in two other people's builds. One failed after 3 months of use, another after like 6-7 (I didn't put that one in, just had to deal with the broken computer)

You're a big fan of Samsung Spinpoints, I see.

I personally have had bad luck with 3 of them, including one of them failing catastrophically... and exploding. Literally. Parts of the PCB were found on my optical drive, some 9 inches above it, and in another cage.

I think it was actually just a platter that was messed up, and it eventually just wobbled to death.

The other two were in two other people's builds. One failed after 3 months of use, another after like 6-7 (I didn't put that one in, just had to deal with the broken computer)

Holy smokes! Maybe they're just bad in single drive scenarios? I've only used them in RAID configurations, and only used the Spinpoint F3 1GB version. No problems so far after 10 months, and I've had like 24 of them since then (used in my builds and others). Plus, I never used them as OS drives, only storage. Maybe constant 24/7 usage causes them to fail more?

I don't really know. I think that the ones I have experience with were all the F1 series, not the F3. The one that exploded was a 750GB 7200RPM F1.

That one was mine personally, and yes, it was my OS drive, on 24/7.

So, I got my Kill-A-Watt meters today. My main computer while running Prime 95 and FurMark with 16x MSAA at 1920 x 1200 pulled 1025W! Those overclocked GTX 460 1GB's in SLI pull a lot of wattage!

System idle is 245W. The wattage below is what the difference was, and the actual is in (parenthesis).

Just the i7 950 from idle to max load (512W):

267W

Stock GTX 460 1GB SLI (593W):

348W

Overclocked GTX 460 1GB SLI (825W):

580W

That's a big difference!

My secondary computer with the 1090T pulled only 553W while running Prime95 and FurMark with 8x MSAA at 1920 x 1200.

System idle is 205W.

Just the 1090T from idle to max load (365W):

160W

Stock HD 5870 2GB (370W):

165W

Overclocked HS 5870 2GB (403W):

198W

It seems the AMD CPU and GPU are definitely more power efficient! The calculations add up pretty close.

Intel/Nvidia computer = 1025W actual vs1092W calculated.

AMD computer = 553W actual vs 568W calculated.

It's a good thing I'm about to put a Corsair 1200W PSU in there.

Then, my brother's-to-be-computer is 112W with the i7 950 @ 3.68MHz at 1.1678V from idle to full load.

Odd. I put in the Corsair AX1200 PSU and my system idle wattage is 222W as opposed to 245W with the Rosewill Bronze 1000W. Nothing's changed except the PSU. Also, the total while running Prime 95 and FurMark with 16x MSAA at 1920 x 1200 is 925W as opposed to 1025W. I'm drawing 100W less during system load.

Then, with the i7 950 from idle to max load (393W):

171W

Stock GTX 460 1GB SLI (556W):

334W

Overclocked GTX 460 1GB SLI (768W):

546W

925W Actual vs. 939W Calculated

So... my system is drawing less wattage just by having a more efficient PSU? That's pretty amazing.

Odd. I put in the Corsair AX1200 PSU and my system idle wattage is 222W as opposed to 245W with the Rosewill Bronze 1000W. Nothing's changed except the PSU. Also, the total while running Prime 95 and FurMark with 16x MSAA at 1920 x 1200 is 925W as opposed to 1025W. I'm drawing 100W less during system load.

Then, with the i7 950 from idle to max load (393W):

171W

Stock GTX 460 1GB SLI (556W):

334W

Overclocked GTX 460 1GB SLI (768W):

546W

925W Actual vs. 939W Calculated

So... my system is drawing less wattage just by having a more efficient PSU? That's pretty amazing.

It's probably not just that the PSU is more efficient. The Corsair is probably operating at a more optimum voltage, at least at full load.

The i7 2600k is drawing only 100W from idle to max load. The system idles at 164W and during Prime95, maxes at 264W. This is at 4.5GHz...

I think I might give my brother my i7 950 system instead...