Renigade

What VOIP do you use or prefer and why?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What VOIP do you use for gaming what do you like qand not like about them and what do you prefer?

• Do you use Team Speak for gaming
    • Do you use Mumble for gaming
    • Do you use Skype for gaming
    • Do you use Ventrilo for gaming

I am in the market for a VOIP and wanted to get some opinions from yall here at OCC. This will be for my WOW guild.

I had used Ventrilo for a long time. and had become biased against Team speak because every time I had gone into a TS server it had always been hosted on a slow/bad connection. I do now like TS and Ventrilo Equally as long as they are hosted properly, but I prefer Ventrilo because I can use the push to talk function on my Logitech G930 head set when I am away from keyboard. But other then that I have not tried Mumble. and Skype is ok but can get a bit annoying with no push to talk.

Im looking at Typefrag for Hosting as the last provider i used Nation Voice are thieves. Nation Voice double billed me for 6 months and because i didnt notice it  they have a clause in their TOS that states they do not give refunds after 10 Days so they got me for $70.

Ventrilo was always my favorite just for ease of use. We currently use TS3 and I like that as well but more for the amount of features it offers. I do not use push to talk and both of them were very easy to set up. Mumble, we tried mumble for a bit and I hated it. I thought it was a pain to set up and just didn't like the way things sounded.

How many slots are you looking for? I may be able to hook you up. :)

since the last update Mumble is very easy to set up on the client side... easier than TeamSpeak.... works well as the last time i logged in there were 50+ people in the channel and no lag...

For the most part anything is good as long as it works... TS3 has worked well for those of us that use it on a regular basis...just mostly for everyday chatting

Why not host the VT server yourself? It's quite easy to set up, and if you aren't expecting huge amounts of people using it at the same time, you should be able to handle it. It's real simple to setup as well.

The gaming community (I say comunity because our guild supports several games) and we ended up switching to mumble due to price (due to the large amout of people that use our VoIP, 100 user and we are now looking at increaseing that, as we come very close to maxing it on raid/ops/guild event/WvWvW nights..) and features and ease of use.

TS3 we ran into stability, drop's and channel bleeding..

Ventrillo was becomming cost prohibitive due to the number of licences we needed.. otherwise we probibly would have stayed with vent, as that is what we had been using and everyone was familure with it.. though now that everyone as gotten used to mumble we probibly would not go back, as it has a better feature set for setting up hands free and volume levels and of course still has push to talk..