Convincing someone to not buy Alien Ware.

TCcomputers29

Alienware V Custom  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Alienware (dell)
    • Custom (specs in post)

I've always thought BOSE stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment :lol:

I've always heard 'no highs, no lows, must be bose' :biggrin:

But anyway if you cant him to go Nvidia the 6950 is not a bad card at all, especially now that its been out for a while and they probably have most of the driver issues fixed.

You know.. You can just build a computer with identical specs to the Alienware if he's really that set on that particular rig.

It'll save you about a million dollars to buy the same components they use and put them together yourself. Not the best rig IMO for the price, you could do MUCH better. But if it'll convince him not to be a total moron by still giving him comparably similar hardware, it's an improvement.

PS- A general rule of thumb here: Mac is not worth paying the extra for. Neither is Alienware. Bose is, if you're putting it in your car: Not your computer. Neither is Dell, or anyone else. This is overclockersclub.com: We buy cheap stuff and make it bada$$, or buy cheap stuff that is bada$$, and make it more bada$$. If you want to buy expensive stuff out of the box and not get the best value for your money: Go to tomshardware.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

i doubt he would wanna buy a Nvidia GPU...lets say he is more of the "hey is it a ATi Radeon" guy :thumbsup:

he barely knew nvidia existed :mellow:

Well they have red stripes :lol:

Offer is there with everything they came with cos I aint one to toss boxes I will start a for sale thread in a while got.other things to do first.

OP: So did you convince your buddy not to buy Alienware?

I didn't price it for my Sandy build, but when I put my C2D build together I priced out a similarly spec'd machine on Dell and it came to $2500. I put my machine together for $800... oh and btw, it had far superior parts than the what the Dell would have had. I knew exactly what was in my machine and its upgrade potential.

For audio debate going on in this thread:

- I hate in ear headphones, but this is still the best resource for picking a good IEM (in ear monitor) headset - 232 IEMs compared

- Bought the M6s for $18 and the sound quality is a LOT better than I was expecting, good bass. I did have to get replacement due to poor quality of the left headpiece. Outside of that occurance I was surprised by the quality of the rest of product, especially the cable. Much better than the competition in its price range.

- I still prefer the full cans (Mmm Beyers :wub:)

OR - you can tell your friend "Let me order that alienware for you". He will then proceed to give you the money. You will build his computer with the exact same specs as the alienware one. Slap an alienware sticker on it. $$$ - or if your burdened by your concience (I've no idea how to spell conshienz) place some better hardware in his build and just say -- " they didn't have the part you ordered so they just put in the next best thing"

Hey guys/Gurls

Well my friend wants me to build a custom PC for him but someone keeps telling him to get an alienware. Any tips on convincing him? :evilgrin:

well i told him that alien ware uses OEM Mobos and craps parts.

here is the specs of the Custom.

Intel Core I7 2600K

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3

2 x 4GB G.SKILL 1333MHz RAM

Powercolor 6950 2GB Edition

1TB Seagate 7200RPM 32MB HDD

LG Blu-Ray Combo CH12LS28

Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Full Tower Chassis

OCZ ZT750w PSU

TP-Link WN851N Wireless-N

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

about 1.5k

i keep telling him it is a very good build for playing games and watching 1080p vids.

It all looks good, but if its just going to be mainly used for gaming and watching videos he wont need the 2600k. Hell is he doesn't know how to overclock, which he probably doesn't need to anyway, just have him get the 2500. If he's going to be gaming 1600MHz RAM is the way to go. Also, call me biased, but for gaming he should go with an nVidia card. Physx!

DDF please don't tell me you just said bose was good for car audio......

It been a long time since that was the case and they were and are overpriced in comparison to the competition.

And it's been a long time since I owned a car :P

These figures seem to match

OR - you can tell your friend "Let me order that alienware for you". He will then proceed to give you the money. You will build his computer with the exact same specs as the alienware one. Slap an alienware sticker on it. $$$ - or if your burdened by your concience (I've no idea how to spell conshienz) place some better hardware in his build and just say -- " they didn't have the part you ordered so they just put in the next best thing"

Con-science. Take the two words and slap them together. con (criminal) science (nerds). There you go, hope it helps you remember.

Edited by dragonsdontfly