Asus GTX660 Ti Build - Suggestions

timthedevil87

- Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus II 625W

- SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB

- Heat sink: Xigmatek cooler

- DVD: Samsung DVD Burner

Possible Swap outs:

- MB: Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional (recommended by friend)

- MB: Asus Maximus V Gene (superfast gigabite LAN apparently)

- MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77 (thermal armor & extra fans on MB)

- GFX: Asus GTX660 Non-Ti? (save money)

You ARE new, so welcome! :wave:

Agree with the others on getting a better PSU (I had 3 OCZ power supplies ruin 2 computers ...completely) and also agree on the two coolers Vandreadstriker recommended.

ON SSD

I also agree on trying to get at least 120GB SSD. Space goes quick. I would factor roughly 16GB just for Windows itself, then you will have a file called hiberfil.sys that will match your RAM count. So if 8GB of RAM then the file will be 8GB ...you can reclaim this space and you should since hibernation on a SSD isn't recommended. Then Pagefile.sys is roughly 1.5x your RAM count so if 8GB of RAM, factor 12GB. There is some use with PageFile so I would count on 28-30GB just for Windows. Some games are 12GB themselves so a 60GB drive would be eaten up quick. You can use the 60GB drive for ISRT, but I say do it right and get full on SSD speed 100% of the time. So if you can't purchase a 120GB ssd, leave the 60GB out and wait till you can afford 120GB. SSD is so nice, I won't accept half-way solutions.

ON MBs

•  
  • I would not go with a m-ATX motherboard for this build, so I would rule out the Asus Maximus V Gene on that.
  • Like the Sabertooth but it is also pretty expensive. The money would be better spent on a better quality and higher storage SSD.
  • The AsRock board looks like a nice solid buy despite the odd looks of it. I would probably choose the P8Z77-V Pro to keep the blue/white theme going and because I've seen a couple people here at OCC have AsRock boards go bad on them. Every manufacturer has its duds, just seems a bit more relavant the more you see it on a niche website.

I see you want to watch movies on your PC, any reason the standard DVD burner and not a Blu-Ray one?