Which RAM which RAM which...

Hello everyone!!!

My next upgrade is my RAM, i currently have 4GB of: Corsair Memory Dominator GT 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz 8-9-8-24

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb(2x2gb)-corsair-twinx-dom-gt-ddr3-pc3-16000-(2000)-cas-8-9-8-24-dhx-connectorxmp-df-165v

Now then, i can either get the same to have a total of 8GB extremely fast RAM orrrrr:

buy this set: Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-309-CS

Which are both the same/ish price both affordable.

My build is a trying to be fast with an Asus GTX580 from R.O.G (Republic Of Gamers) And an Asus Crosshair V motherboard (AMD CPU)

Thankyou for your time and if you reply please say why i should choose either or :)

Thankyou all

+1 to ivyth0s' suggestion

it's jet black and will save you a bit of money

Not really because i already have a set of the domm's, another way of putting this question is would 16gb ot 1666mhz ram be faster than 8gb of 2000mhz ram with just a little faster clock speeds. I know 16gb is pointless but your computer uses what its got, i have 64 bit win7 and a hefty machine ;)

Thanks all.

scorpain - i've been playing with various DDR3 2000Mhz ram for months now. I can unequivocally say that you won't notice any real world day to day performance differences between DDR3 1600Mhz and DDR3 2000Mhz except in benchmarks. I would go for the capacity over the speed. Plus the DDR3 1600Mhz stuff is generally plug n play. To get DDR3 2000Mhz running correctly you've got to tweak quite a bit sometimes, run QPI voltage higher than the Intel spec (usually) and will hold back your overall cpu overclock because of the massive load on the memory controller.

scorpain - i've been playing with various DDR3 2000Mhz ram for months now. I can unequivocally say that you won't notice any real world day to day performance differences between DDR3 1600Mhz and DDR3 2000Mhz except in benchmarks. I would go for the capacity over the speed. Plus the DDR3 1600Mhz stuff is generally plug n play. To get DDR3 2000Mhz running correctly you've got to tweak quite a bit sometimes, run QPI voltage higher than the Intel spec (usually) and will hold back your overall cpu overclock because of the massive load on the memory controller.

:withstupid:

:withstupid:

Well done wev. Plus 1.

16G is a massive waste. If your questioning 8G or 16G, you need to realize 16G will not make a Damn difference in performance unless you need it..... for programs that use a lot of memory.......and as mentioned, 2000MHz over _1600MHz yields less than .05% performance gain. Here is the secret to AMD. Lower timings makes a better difference in performance so I say this, get 8G of 2000MHz ram low Cas and run it at 1600MHz at 6 Cas if possible. Your gain will be best there. My humble opinion.

Edited by Drdeath

16G is a massive waste. If your questioning 8G or 16G, you need to realize 16G will not make a Damn difference in performance unless you need it..... for programs that use a lot of memory.......and as mentioned, 2000MHz over _1600MHz yields less than .05% performance gain. Here is the secret to AMD. Lower timings makes a better difference in performance so I say this, get 8G of 2000MHz ram low Cas and run it at 1600MHz at 6 Cas if possible. Your gain will be best there. My humble opinion.

:withstupid: Still not a big difference but lower latencies have given the best benefit in my experience as opposed to speed!

:withstupid: Still not a big difference but lower latencies have given the best benefit in my experience as opposed to speed!

AMD's new Llano and Bulldozer will have better performance with lower latencies in the past. They even recommended lower latencies over more frequency for the Llano review.

AMD's new Llano and Bulldozer will have better performance with lower latencies in the past. They even recommended lower latencies over more frequency for the Llano review.

Do not get two caught up in the latency, any gains are not big enough to matter beyond benchmarks. Even RAM makers I have spoken with have said that latency makes no difference in actual usage.

As for 16 gig vs 8 gig. First with 16 gig make sure your system has room for all four slots to be filled. Most modern 3rd party heatsinks will not allow all four slots to be filled. Also do not push the RAM to hard on timings or speed. It seems once you leave the comfort of the two slot setup that systems get a bit more finicky about RAM configurations and it is easier to reduce system stability.