Kingston 40GB SSD Upgrade Kit Evaluated

Nemo

With a good SSD you will have a feel that you dont have with a traditional drive. Its tough to describe!

Yeah I know but I'm not blind enough to see the gimped left writing leg, even though the right leg reading leg is Olympic class.

I know what you mean, in alot of cases where there are quick small writes/reads, the SSD will appear to be lightning. I've never used one but from what I've gathered, I'm assuming that's how it is.

I just happen to personally value storage capacity/stable speed over selective speed gains. I'm not trying to attack anyone for using SSD's, I'd gladly pick one up if they dropped to like $150 for 256GB.

My 300GB desktop and 320GB in my laptop have spoiled me since I don't have to be going day to day worrying about running out of space or uninstalling things I'm not using at the current moment. With a big drive I can install all the programs I favor and then when I need them, they're already installed. Add to that, although the SSD will load the installed programs quicker, if you want to use the one program for one quick use, you'd have install the program which would be a longer install time due to the lower sustained write speed, this would of course be taken care of with a more generously sized SSD.

I know what you mean, in alot of cases where there are quick small writes/reads, the SSD will appear to be lightning. I've never used one but from what I've gathered, I'm assuming that's how it is.

This drive is essentially half of an 80 GB Intel X-25m G2. It's faster than any conventional hard drive in pretty much any test you can think of.

Of course, that's not obvious from the review since there aren't any real-world tests. <_< Sorry OCC...but a HDD/SSD test without real application/OS benchmarks is pretty much useless. Nobody really cares what it can do with ATTO, or HDTach, or PCMark Vantage...we want boot times, level load times, shutdown times, etc. Without the latter the former are just useless. :(

Edited by Waco

This drive is essentially half of an 80 GB Intel X-25m G2. It's faster than any conventional hard drive in pretty much any test you can think of.

Of course, that's not obvious from the review since there aren't any real-world tests. <_< Sorry OCC...but a HDD/SSD test without real application/OS benchmarks is pretty much useless. Nobody really cares what it can do with ATTO, or HDTach, or PCMark Vantage...we want boot times, level load times, shutdown times, etc. Without the latter the former are just useless. :(

May you provide them then sir :P. I'd be happy to have good aspects of SSD thrown at me. I just have yet to see a price justification.

I just have yet to see a price justification.

I'm a frugal bastard when it comes to a lot of things and I wouldn't trade my $320 G.Skill Falcon for any conventional hard drive. :P

I'm a frugal bastard when it comes to a lot of things and I wouldn't trade my $320 G.Skill Falcon for any conventional hard drive. :P

that is a decent size SSD anything smaller than that wouldn't be a consideration in the least. But $320 is too much for the frugalteer (me) to spend. I rather allocate the $250 elsewhere in my build (the extra money would be buying me the 500GB my dad has) :D. even in my laptop's case, for the extra storage space I would have to plug in my 500GB scorpio and voiding out the power savings (as I download things and have alot of programs on my laptop too).

Edited by IVIYTH0S