The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Avinexis

I finally finished the main quest line in a playthrough.  I must say it wasn't that good.  Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Dawnguard and the Daedric stuff is way better.  Boss battle not hard and no reward. BOO!!

• 2 years later...

Been a while, but I figure why not. The Skyrim Special Edition has gone gold, with system requirements also revealed. Little bit more involved than Skyrim when it was launched five years ago, especially since it requires a 64-bit OS to run. We finally can have Skyrim take more than 4GB of RAM when running a bunch of mods.

Minimum
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

It'll be out on October 28, a Friday. It's free on Steam for all Skyrim owners who also own all the DLC, otherwise there'll be a cost with it. PS4 and XBO copies hit that day, too, with storage needing about 20GB of space on either console.

• 2 weeks later...

The pre-load is now live! A hair over 12GB for the download, but it'll be ready to go when it unlocks on Thursday (or Friday).

• 5pm Pacific Time (October 27)
  • 8pm Eastern Time (October 27)
  • 1am British Summer Time (October 28)
  • 2am Central European Summer Time (October 28)
  • 11am Australian Eastern Time Zone (October 28)
  • 1pm New Zealand Time (October 28th)

Depending on the mods you've run, they'll be similar (figure the SE is a decently modded one in terms of graphics, but nothing crazy). If you're on 4K textures and an ENB, well, it's going to be better with that compared to the SE in some areas. However, the SE is on a 64-bit engine, so that means it's going to be more stable in the long run when you start getting mods added to it. The shadows and lighting are vastly improved, which will make the game look that much better already.

Once some mods start rolling out for the SE, then it'll be the better option, since the engine means more capabilities in the long run. But if you own Skyrim and the three DLC, or the Legendary Edition, on Steam, then you get the SE for free, so might as well take advantage of that and have a better base to build on for the mods.

The SE isn't adding in anything extra in terms of content, just all graphical upgrades, lighting, shadows, dynamic depth of field, screen-space reflections, water shaders, snow shaders, and redone art/effects. Plus it's a 64-bit engine, so it's going to be vastly more stable. Once the 2K and 4K textures arrive, it'll be the one to go for, imo.