Damn you bios :(

So I made the idiotic mistake of updating my old E350 HTPC machine's bios today, from windows and wouldn't ya know it...it's now a brick!! I just threw Win 8.1 on it and it never had ran better and I thought I'd give it a treat and update its bios but now I just lost a good old friend. RIP little guy :(

It's a Sapphire Pure Fusion E350 Mini-ITX machine, so I guess I'm now in the market for a new platform...

Adding insult to injury is that this board uses SODIMM memory, so unless I somehow got another board of the same kind, I'll have to either buy another APU system+memory (if AMD) or CPU+Motherboard+Memory :-/ (not to mention try and sell the SODIMM sticks somewhere if I can)

This sucks on so many levels, but I appreciate any help you guys may offer on what to do now... I just want a low power and fairly low cost replacement for the E350...the E350 was a little beast for all my uses, even light emulator gaming so even just a sandybridge or new intel setup would even be fine. I'm betting on AMD having the best versatility (graphics power) for my uses but I know they're probably more power hungry...

I'm running this case/PSU in this case if it helps: (Antec ISK100)

ANTEC_ISK-100_2.jpg

Why did you update the bios in the first place?

Was there any problems with the system or did you want to add new hardware?

Otherwise, it is just not wise to update the bios with no real reason :P

I expected more from you IVIYTH0S   :teehee:

What is your budget on the replacement?

Why did you update the bios in the first place?

Was there any problems with the system or did you want to add new hardware?

Otherwise, it is just not wise to update the bios with no real reason :P

I expected more from you IVIYTH0S   :teehee:

What is your budget on the replacement?

Well graphic/general performance was shitty but after I put new windows on it ran great and thought "why not update the bios"... guess I'm use to all the successes with dual bios systems and updates done via USB...that actually work :-/

Really there's no real budget limit but I'm hoping not to have to spend more than $150-$200 for everything...and if it's in that upper range then it better be pretty highend!

Replacing BIOS chip would be best option,.. even if it's soldered type chip.  :ouch:

I'v had good luck buying chips from this seller,.. send him a message with motherboard info http://www.ebay.com/sch/biosdepot/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

or you can buy direct from manufacture.

Edited by Braegnok

Replacing BIOS chip would be best option,.. even if it's soldered type chip.  :ouch:

I'v had good luck buying chips from this seller,.. send him a message with motherboard info http://www.ebay.com/usr/biosdepot?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 and also have bought chips direct from manufacture.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

I have a feeling the soldering job itself will be close impossible

Edited by IVIYTH0S

So far here are the two builds I've made up, realizing I could steal a stick from my desktop since one doesn't register with my POS motherboard anyway:

AMD

Board: ASRock AM1H-ITX $58.99

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 Kabini Quad-Core 2.05GHz (25W)$59.98

or

Intel

Board: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $58.99

CPU:Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (54W)$59.97

Thoughts?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

So far here are the two builds I've made up, realizing I could steal a stick from my desktop since one doesn't register with my POS motherboard anyway:

AMD

or

Intel

Thoughts?

Go with the AMD one, it is quite a big upgrade from what you had and you can actually play some games on that one, if you ever desired to do so.

AMD

or

Intel

Thoughts?

Go with the AMD one, it is quite a big upgrade from what you had and you can actually play some games on that one, if you ever desired to do so.

I'm thinking that too, plus it'd be a lower power setup and I don't know how much power the stock PSU was capable of when new but I've had it over 3 years now and it was lightly used when I got it then.

I'll wait for more thoughts and then place my order.

I wonder which would have a more quiet cooler, the Intel's is larger but my E350 had one similar to the 5350's and it never made any noise

There is a type of solder that stays molten longer that you can add to the existing - makes desoldering and resoldering a breeze but I forget the name of it...

If the BIOS chip is a simple - exposed leg style chip like a 555 timer then it would be easy work... you could cut the legs from the chip and remove them one by one - clean the holes and drop in new chip and resolder it. But you might not be that lucky

-------------

chipquik:

His  BIOS chip looks like the snap in type after looking at a photo in owners manual,.. if it is chip next to the LED display.

Anyway new replacement is $17.50 loaded with OEM BIOS or they can re-flash his chip for $11.00,.. from NJ outfit,.. http://www.badbiosflash.com/

Edited by Braegnok

His  BIOS chip looks like the snap in type after looking at a photo in owners manual,.. if it is chip next to the LED display.

Anyway new replacement is $17.50 loaded with OEM BIOS or they can re-flash his chip for $11.00,.. from NJ outfit,.. http://www.badbiosflash.com/

When you say snap in...you mean I could just snap it off easily? I suppose it's worth a shot if it'll be easy to remove. I may still purchase the new guts for my system since the E350 was definitely giving me its all with no overhead left but perhaps if I can get it working I'll sell it for cheap on here or keep the whole system as a backup