Corsair 550D

Ok i have o face it - my old Apevia Jupiter-X just doesnt do it for me anymore. An idea of having a case with a fly door/side window kinda lost it hype after each one of my friends said *wow* the first time (and the only time :P ) they saw it. Time to mature and switch from bling to business!

Here is what i found for my next case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-550d-mid-tower-quiet-case.html

Why i like it:

- stylish minimal look

- features (features superior air-flow, said to accommodate largest of the GPUs, possibility of fitting a watercooling block without alterations, minimalistic look)

- brand name (had some Corsair parts for a while, never had a complaint)

- said to be noise-dampening

- magnetically mounted dust filters (!!!) (yeah, i live right next to a traffic-intense road and use an open window as a cooling solution for my room in summer time, hence the love for dust-collectors :P )

- very good reviews, even an award for design

Now, before i press that *add to cart* button on the newegg page i'd like to ask if anyone knows about a full-tower case with similar clean style look and features and price range ~150-200$ out there? (i dont like to see storage drive bay slot panels on the front side of the case like other Corsair cases have and no side see-through windows please! Also removable cleanable dust collectors is a MUST! :D )

Also, any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

I'm having a hard time believing it's has superior airflow...

By the design, it'll be quiet no doubt but with the steel covering all the fans, I'm not sold that it has superior airflow..

Also, the base chassis seems to be the same as the Carbide series.. I have the Carbide 500R and it doesn't attract much dust with the included dust filters (although not magnetic). They're 'kinda' cleanable too (might need an air blower).

Maybe the giant side mesh on the side of the Carbide 500R wouldn't suite you but it's a case with great airflow, dust filters, fan controller and priced at a slightly cheaper price. Just some food for thought.

I'm having a hard time believing it's has superior airflow...

By the design, it'll be quiet no doubt but with the steel covering all the fans, I'm not sold that it has superior airflow..

Also, the base chassis seems to be the same as the Carbide series.. I have the Carbide 500R and it doesn't attract much dust with the included dust filters (although not magnetic). They're 'kinda' cleanable too (might need an air blower).

Maybe the giant side mesh on the side of the Carbide 500R wouldn't suite you but it's a case with great airflow, dust filters, fan controller and priced at a slightly cheaper price. Just some food for thought.

I've noticed that too, however after closer examination i saw some vents stretching along the edges of the front door. Not sure if they will suffice supplying two 120-mm fans, but i guess it wont be too obstructive. Rest of the fan covers are not steel, just a sound-damping material lined covers that may have looked like steel covers on the picture (wasn't sure myself till i watched the video). Besides i don't plan to run multiple GPUs any soon, so i dont think i should be worried about heat dissipation too much.

Aslo took a look at your suggested 550R - great case, but that mesh totally kills the look :(

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! :)

i have had a few that cover the fans like that, and they worked fine. I hadn't seen this case before. I'll be honest tho, i'm going to get one. Thats gotta be one of the sexiest cases I have seen ever. I'll be replacing my antec 300 with that.

Wow. Define XL looks like a sweet spot. I definitely like the super-clean look of it. Shinobi's ability to fit XL-ATX sounds tempting, but i dont think i'll be having an XL-ATX mobo any soon :P

Guess Define XL is the one i am going to go for.

Corsair REALLY sucks at pricing their cases. :lol:

I would say to keep an eye out for a sale on the 650D if you like the obsidian look.

http://www.computermakler.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3462&currency=USD the corsair 700D is more minimalist IMO.

The fractal design Define R3 is another great quiet and minimalist case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352015 (also comes in silver and black)

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65171&vpn=ELEVEN%20HUNDRED&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1361 This is another great case. I do not know if the window is too flashy for you, but from the front it is pretty plain.

The NZXT 810 case is again another windowed case, but it is VERY VERY nice for building.

Here is a nice Lian Li case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112304

Lastly here is a nice little Silver stone case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163191

Something you should keep in mind with all of these cases. You can always buy magnetic dust filters, so don't be too picky about removable dust filters. Secondly, do not worry about having a quite case, just worry about having silent fans. Get some silver stone air penetrators fans and you should be all set. :thumbsup:

Edit: I totally missed the no window clause of your post. In which case I would tell you to go for the Define R3. It is not full tower, but it is focused on being a quiet case. ;)

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

Corsair REALLY sucks at pricing their cases.

Personally I think they do ok for instance they are only 10 bucks higher then that nzxt case, yet they are steel and aluminuim, compared to steel and plastic, makes a big difference.