New build input (first in a while)

GaiusMaxwell

ok, so I haven't been keeping up too much with tech over the last few years, my last build was when GTX 580's were brand new. Anyway, I've given myself a crash course and put together a parts list for my new build.

CPU: i7 4770K

Mobo: Gigabyte G1 sniper 5

GPUs: 2x GTX 780 Ti SLI

RAM: Corsair Dominator platinum CMD16GX3M2A1600C9 2x8gb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
HDD: WD Black 4TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200w
OPTICAL: LG Bluray writer
CASE: Enthoo primo
COOLING: I've put together a bunch of water cooling parts and plan to water cool everything - CPU, MoBo (integrated on the G1), RAM and both 780 Ti's.
I'll be running 2 seperate loops (1 for CPU, Mobo and RAM and 1 for the GFX), 1 pump and 1 4x120mm (480mm) Rad each.

Pretty much exclusively a Gaming PC, though I will be doing some video editing/rendering and I'll be working a fair bit with UDK.
I plan on running 2560x1440 resolution on a couple of Asus 27" monitors (I will likely wait it out for a G-sync monitor though and just buy 1 27" now to use as a single then move it to a secondary screen when I can get a Gsync monitor)

Is there anything glaringly wrong here or something I should reconsider?

A couple of things to note:
  • I will not buy AMD (neither CPU or GPU), I have just never been a fan and I don't mind paying the extra for a 780 Ti over a 290x (and from the benchmarks I've seen/what I understand, the 780 ti's probably suit my needs better as I don't plan to surround/eyefinity but please correct me if I'm wrong).
  • I was not sure about the 2011 vs 1150 choice, I ended up going with the 1150 because as far as I can tell, for gaming, there is little difference - unless you go tri or quad SLI/Xfire, I'll be sticking to regular SLI for the life time of the build so I don't see any bottlenecking affecting me.
  • My budget is virtually non existant (to a reasonable degree), around $8000-$10,000, but that figure includes monitors, keyboard, mouse, headset etc as well as the insane amount of water cooling equipment I have in my cart (and I live in Australia where I pay quite a bit more for hardware)
  • Preferred retailer is PCCasegear.com.au - All parts listed can be purchased from there and they have some, if not the, cheapest prices here.

EDIT: I also had a question about the WC which I couldn't find an answer to.
I'll be putting a 480mm Rad in push/pull both on top of the case and on the bottom.
Should the airflow direction be:

Both up (towards/out the top of the case) or

Top rad up and bottom rad down (so both are pushing hot air out of the case rather the bottom flooding it in)?

EDIT2: My god I forgot how expensive WC parts can get (when I go overboard), those 42 compression fittings really start to add up.. to over $300 >.<

Edited by Whatislove

As for the fan direction on the radiator you'll find all flavors and opinions.  But considering the amount of heat this build is going to produce, and the number of components that will be water cooled, I'd try everything with the fans exhausting out of the case first.

Or you can experiment both ways and make your own call   :)

And yes, that is an amazing build.

Thirded, that is a build even I cannot argue with! (although I'm not a fan of watercooling, though it probably is a good idea since you're SLI'ing)

Seriously, you didn't go any extra on anything for a top tier machine. IMHO

Good work and enjoy it!

Looks fantastic, any plans on fans? A high dollar build should have some nice fans to go with it. Noctua's perhaps? The NF-F12 is specifically for pushing ari through radiators. 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18995&cPath=413

Ouch $29 a piece, four for the radiator but you said high dollar build. For that I would expect quiet fans that will last forever. 

I honestly couldn't think of anything else, a nice mechanical keyboard maybe?

Edited by GabrielTessin

If you are doing video editing I would switch to 32gb of ram. For gaming It is pointless but I guess it depends how much you edit.  Also I don't think UDK support Sli but it shouldn't matter since a single 780 Ti will run anything that engine can produce.

As for the 2 480mm radiators, I would think you need a second pump and it's really overkill lol. I don't think it will matter at all about airflow direction since you will have 2 rads that can displace 800watts each, personally I would go with up because heat raises.

If you are doing video editing I would switch to 32gb of ram. For gaming It is pointless but I guess it depends how much you edit.  Also I don't think UDK support Sli but it shouldn't matter since a single 780 Ti will run anything that engine can produce.

As for the 2 480mm radiators, I would think you need a second pump and it's really overkill lol. I don't think it will matter at all about airflow direction since you will have 2 rads that can displace 800watts each, personally I would go with up because heat raises.

Video editing will be minimal but 32gb is still an option.

The second pump is absolutely overkill lol but it's almost entirely a cosmetic choice, I wanted 2 seperate loops with different tubing/colours (going for a blue/green theme build) so while I could've easily got away with 1 pump and most likely just 1 480mm monsta, I just decided to make it less of a squeeze and have some thinner rads and 2 seperate loops to play around with aesthetics.

Looks fantastic, any plans on fans? A high dollar build should have some nice fans to go with it. Noctua's perhaps? The NF-F12 is specifically for pushing ari through radiators. 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18995&cPath=413

Ouch $29 a piece, four for the radiator but you said high dollar build. For that I would expect quiet fans that will last forever. 

I honestly couldn't think of anything else, a nice mechanical keyboard maybe?

I'll actually be running the corsair static pressure fans (also designed for rads, and both are push/pull so I actually need 8 per rad lol);

This is, again, as aesthetic choice, the noctua fans are all so damn ugly, and with the 2 seperate loops (meaning the rads will only have to cool a couple of components each) I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference (if at all) using a good second best fan instead of the best one.

Also, I have my peripherals sorted as well, A roccat mechanical KB, TT level 10 mouse, siberia elite headset and a nice mousepad and bungee to go with it. 

I'll actually be running the corsair static pressure fans (also designed for rads, and both are push/pull so I actually need 8 per rad lol);

This is, again, as aesthetic choice, the noctua fans are all so damn ugly, and with the 2 seperate loops (meaning the rads will only have to cool a couple of components each) I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference (if at all) using a good second best fan instead of the best one.

Also, I have my peripherals sorted as well, A roccat mechanical KB, TT level 10 mouse, siberia elite headset and a nice mousepad and bungee to go with it. 

I think that the NF-F12 look kind of nice. It's not like anyone is going to be like "Brown fans, what a a pile of crap" they will be all like "Ooooh, Noctua's, you must know that things don't have to be pretty to be amazing". And if they do say the first thing chances are you will be at home and have access to many things to bludgeon those idiots with. 

I have read that the Corsair fans can be on the loud side and seem to have a high defect rate (via Newegg reviews). I don't know man, I try to by the best thing I can afford the first time, but 16 fans at $30 is nearly $500 in fans. In an 8 thousand dollar build do you really want to spend your time figuring out which fan is going bad every month? 

Edited by GabrielTessin