Is it possible for cpu to be too cold

lol, never said it wasn't extreme. I just saw were someone said it wasn't physically possible on air cooling and I just wanted to point out that it is.

Well, it's not, really. You aren't cooling the CPU below ambient (ambient being the temperature of the incoming air to the heatsink). :P

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it's not, really. You aren't cooling the CPU below ambient (ambient being the temperature of the incoming air to the heatsink). :P

+1

You beat me too it...

I wasn't talking about ambient of the case I was talking about ambient of the room. If we are talking ambient of the case then no I don't believe that would be possible, however if the A/C is piped directly to the heatsink/fan assembly it is theoretically possible to get it below the ambient temp of the case.

I wasn't talking about ambient of the case I was talking about ambient of the room. If we are talking ambient of the case then no I don't believe that would be possible, however if the A/C is piped directly to the heatsink/fan assembly it is theoretically possible to get it below the ambient temp of the case.

The incoming air to the heatsink is what you should be calling your ambient though.

The way you're describing it I could call my cooling sub-ambient just because it's cooler in my house than outside. :P Your frame of reference matters quite a bit. :teehee:

No Way,the ambient temp of the case is the temp of the cool air the ac is pumping into it, so there is NO WAY you can get below it.:biggrin:

No Way,the ambient temp of the case is the temp of the cool air the ac is pumping into it, so there is NO WAY you can get below it.:biggrin:

Now keep in mind I am talking purely theoretical here but what if the cpu and rest of the case had completely separate sources of cold air?

Waco, I know what you are saying. I am really just trying to ruffle some feathers here to be honest. :)

I think it is possible to have the temps lower than ambient...just for not long periods of time...

as when I was running my zerotherm btf 90 in the winter...if I turned my computer on...temps would be 14-18C when the ambient is 20C...because it's all about humidity...and the cold metal on the heatsink :D

Now keep in mind I am talking purely theoretical here but what if the cpu and rest of the case had completely separate sources of cold air?

Waco, I know what you are saying. I am really just trying to ruffle some feathers here to be honest. :)

:lol: I know, it's pretty obvious. I ran a similar setup a long time ago where my CPU was drawing air piped from the A/C vent next to my computer.

I think it is possible to have the temps lower than ambient...just for not long periods of time...

as when I was running my zerotherm btf 90 in the winter...if I turned my computer on...temps would be 14-18C when the ambient is 20C...because it's all about humidity...and the cold metal on the heatsink :D

Nothing will be below 20 C in a room that is 20 C. Simple physics there. :P

:lol: I know, it's pretty obvious. I ran a similar setup a long time ago where my CPU was drawing air piped from the A/C vent next to my computer.

Just how effective is this anyways? I've got a bunch of cabling and ducts lying around. Only reason I never tried this is that it usually looks ugly, but I figured out how to pipe it through my desk and into the bottom of my case: Therefor being hidden from sight.

If it lets me drop fans to silent and keep my OC, I'm definitely going to do it. So was it super effective for you two?

Btw, since the ducting is thick and dampens sound well, and I have the extensions: I was planning to put a fan on both ends of the duct, intake-exhaust to make sure air isn't idly sitting around in the duct.

If you're going to do it you'll be better off ducting the cold air into your case in its entirety. Just piping it to the CPU works really well but you have to worry about condensation. If you cool the whole case you don't have to worry about it quite as much.