Is it possible for cpu to be too cold

If I'm looking at the picture correctly your want shoud be the normal operation of a psu.. check the flow with a tissue.. (the side the pulls the tissue to the fan/vent is the intake)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm wondering if it's alright to turn the fan around and make it blow air through it to the outside of the case, instead of pulling air through the back and out into the case. Check the second picture if you're unsure what I'm getting at. Also forgive my poor paint skills :woot:

most PSUs afaik are equipped with their fans as intake at the bottom then pushes hot air outside at the back.

your sketch at the right which i preferred, but mount the PSU with it's fan at the bottom instead. pulling cool air from the outside then pushes hot air outside, makes your PSU running much cooler & happier by doing so :happy:

Edited by sword_fish

That would reduce the PSU life span wouldn't it? You'd just open your PSU which can be dangerous and turn the fan... somebody might know how... could mod the case so you make a little tunnel for the PSU air...

:withstupid:

As a matter of fact, PSU fans are intake fan. If there is no way by which air can come out of PSU, there is no use of that fan running.

The CPU cannot physically be below your room ambients. It is impossible unless your using chiiled water or some form of exotic cooling. Your sensors are bad, plain and simple.

Edited by Drdeath

The CPU cannot physically be below your room ambients. It is impossible unless your using chiiled water or some form of exotic cooling. Your sensors are bad, plain and simple.

Either that or he's confusing celsius with fahrenheit and he's actually from alaska :P

Just an FYI: It is quite possible to get a CPU temp below the rooms ambient temps even without extreme cooling like phase, DICE, LN2, etc. For those of you that say it cannot be done you must not have been around when I was doing WR breaking stock/air cooling experiments on the Athlon barton core. Also as others mentioned anytime going below ambient is dangerous as to condensation issues, however with that said I have had several chips/boards completely frosted. Would warm up and drip all over board and CPU and of all those times only damaged one board and one CPU. So even though condensation can cause problems it is not the pcb killer some think it is.

i honestly did not know you could get below ambient temps with air cooling. this would be the first. think about it, air is room temp, it moves across a heatsink which is dissipating heat, how is it possible to get below the temp of the air?

Edited by hornybluecow

i honestly did not know you could get below ambient temps with air cooling. this would be the first. think about it, air is room temp, it moves across a heatsink which is dissipating heat, how is it possible to get below the temp of the air?

It is kind of cheating but you make the air source into the case colder than the rooms ambient. Picture in your mind a 10,000BTU window A/C unit, 4" dryer duct, and duct tape. :whistling:

The ONLY way to get a CPU below ambient temps is by using a source that uses colder air(or water) then the ambients. It is a phsycal certainty it cannot happen, not a theory.

The ONLY way to get a CPU below ambient temps is by using a source that uses colder air(or water) then the ambients. It is a phsycal certainty it cannot happen, not a theory.

Yes, and using a colder source while still using air cooling is possible.

Yes, and using a colder source while still using air cooling is possible.

Which really doesn't qualify as "regular" air cooling either. Piping an A/C unit into your case is pretty extreme. :lol:

Which really doesn't qualify as "regular" air cooling either. Piping an A/C unit into your case is pretty extreme. :lol:

lol, never said it wasn't extreme. I just saw were someone said it wasn't physically possible on air cooling and I just wanted to point out that it is.