Looking for a new MMO [PC]

Miek

For the longest time, I was really big into WoW, but that game is pretty well dead to me with Mists of Pandaria. I've dabbled in Guild Wars 2, but I can't seem to get into it. I was thinking of trying to play RIFT again, but I need to recover my account (which I supose I could do fairly easily).

Can you, the forum users of OCC, recommend to me any good, solid MMOs out there that are worth logging some hours into? Free or paid, I don't mind. I'd prefer if the game had a somewhat expansive class and skill tree system. An actual skill tree would be nice, a la WoW's talent system until now.

Well I have refused to get into WoW, but I did play RIFT for a year. Unfortunately I don't have much time to even play simple games, so I definitely can't get into an MMO :(. I was initially very interested in Defiance and watching the TV show that will go along with it, but it's a Shooter MMO, so not sure if that'd be up your alley.

I really enjoyed The Secret World when I tried it. Like GW2 and Defiance, it's a one-time fee and then no subscription. They've had free weekends in the past if you want to wait for one of those and try it out. If you're into mythology and/or urban legends, I think you'd enjoy it. Even if you're not, the skill tree was massive and very robust.

Admittedly, the whole shooter MMO thing really doesn't interest me. The closest I came to that was the Borderlands games with their talent trees for the different classes. The Secret World seems like it might be a good enough game, but the premise of it really isn't all the interesting to me. I really do prefer the whole anceint-era hack n' slash/spellcasting kind of games.

Admittedly, the whole shooter MMO thing really doesn't interest me. The closest I came to that was the Borderlands games with their talent trees for the different classes. The Secret World seems like it might be a good enough game, but the premise of it really isn't all the interesting to me. I really do prefer the whole anceint-era hack n' slash/spellcasting kind of games.

I hear ya. Well there's of course Elder Scrolls Online, but that's not out yet.

I'd suggest signing up for the beta for that as well as Neverwinter. Neverwinter has had some beta weekends so far...I only had time to play about an hour, but it was pretty cool. Unfortunately very buggy in the first weekend...not sure how the last weekend went.

Suddenly. The urge to play Skyrim.

I'll check out Neverwinter for sure. It looks fairly along the lines of what I want. Thanks for the mention! I think I'm still going to recover my login details for RIFT, too. If I find RIFT not to be worth the cost per month, I might just wind up in Neverwinter.

If you want expansive skill tree, Path of Exiles (but its an Action RPG like Diablo, not an MMO). It's also F2P. It's been called many times the game Diablo 3 should have been.

With its skill tree (designed like FFX) you can create a lot of different types of characters like you could in Diablo 2: LOD with its combination of runeword items. Although I got bored of Path of Exiles. I kinda like the idea of starting up new characters but never finishing them haha.

Mists of Pandaria for me atm is slowing down because of all the no item drops from pretty much everything: world bosses, heroics, and LFRs. Then there is the ridiculous faction rep grind that you can only get through daily quests per faction (takes hours to do, just stopped doing them all together). I started playing on my instant level 80 character to get to level 90 with. Hit level 85 last week, but not so interested in the ~35 hrs needed to do 85-90.

Edited by AZNguyen

I started losing interest in WoW towards the end of Cataclysm. I regret not starting way sooner. I came into the WoW scene halfway through the WOTLK era. My friends wanted me to play it with them during the really early years, but I didn't and played RuneScape for the longest time instead. I kinda regret that. RuneScape was fun and all, but looking back, it really wasn't too great of a game in comparison.

I can second the Path of Exile recommendation if you like Action-RPGs. Nothing like any of the aforementioned MMOs though, so may not be what you're looking for.

On a side note, I wish I still played RIFT, I just can't justify the cost when I don't have the time to invest :(

I feel the same way about WoW, try TERA, you may like it. I got bored of it after a few hours.

The only MMO that I believe will be as fun as WoW was, is The Elder Scrolls Online, can't wait to try it.

I played WoW back in Vanilla, TBC and WotLK and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I stopped towards the end of WotLK and only got back into WoW a month ago. But man is it a grind. I'm behind in raiding, thus forcing me to grind rep and LFR, which is boring as ****, so I'm quitting as well. My hopes are with Skyrim, and I'll just have to make do with Kingdom of Amalur and such until then. 

But there sure are many out there for you to try. If you like a good story, a VERY friendly community and a solid crafting system, then LotRO could be for you. There's also SWTOR, but that dozed of rather quick. Nice lvling though.

I can second the Path of Exile recommendation if you like Action-RPGs. Nothing like any of the aforementioned MMOs though, so may not be what you're looking for.

Yeah, if you're looking for an ARPG I would definitely recommend Path of Exile as well.