NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Gaming Reviewed

Bosco

Can't say I agree with an Editors' Choice here.

Why is that?

Is the best single-GPU currently available? Yes. But is is the best cost-to-performance ratio? Not by a long shot. Like I said, it really only shines if you're using a multi-monitor setup, or if you really care about conserving some energy (but really, if you're building a high-end rig, you already don't care about that. lol).

Just because something is the current leader, doesn't mean it deserves an EC, IMO. If it smoked the 690 (which is available for the same price), sure, but it didn't. In fact, it lost to it, again, unless you're using multi-monitors.

The question is, would you (or Frank) recommend this to anyone building a new system? If not, then IMO, it certainly doesn't deserve an EC.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see any reason why the titan is better. Even though the 690 is a dual GPU card, I don't think it matters, when it's cheaper and faster.

BTW I totally agree with the comment above me.

Edited by Black64

Why is that?

Is the best single-GPU currently available? Yes. But is is the best cost-to-performance ratio? Not by a long shot. Like I said, it really only shines if you're using a multi-monitor setup, or if you really care about conserving some energy (but really, if you're building a high-end rig, you already don't care about that. lol).

Just because something is the current leader, doesn't mean it deserves an EC, IMO. If it smoked the 690 (which is available for the same price), sure, but it didn't. In fact, it lost to it, again, unless you're using multi-monitors.

The question is, would you (or Frank) recommend this to anyone building a new system? If not, then IMO, it certainly doesn't deserve an EC.

Not everything is cost vs performance. You guys always go to that on high end cards, that goes completely out the window 9 times out of 10. 

I already stated in another thread that if I was building a new PC this would be the card I would pick. The other things I like is its quiet, and it fits in small HTPC's which to me is an awesome selling feature. I plan on doing on here in the next few weeks.

I know someone that is staff that just bought 4 of these cards just a few mins ago, can't wait to see the performance on those. :)

It seems like the Titan is really only worth it in tri-monitor setups or for the energy conscious.

A single GPU card that can play Crysis at Max settings is a beast of a card any way you cut it. It comes with a price tag to boot but people were paying hefty prices for 680 Lightnings last year and for 8800 cards 6 years ago.

It seems like the Titan is really only worth it in tri-monitor setups or for the energy conscious.

A single GPU card that can play Crysis at Max settings is a beast of a card any way you cut it. It comes with a price tag to boot but people were paying hefty prices for 680 Lightnings last year and for 8800 cards 6 years ago.

the 8800gtx ultra...ahh those were the times :P

I recall reading that the GTX 690 and other multi-GPU or SLI setups have varying degrees of microstuttering.

Clearly, a single Titan setup (single GPU) should have none, but do the 2-, 3-, or 4-way SLIs with Titans exhibit any microstuttering just like with the GTX 680s?

Supposedly 2-way is the worst.

For a single-card setup but I'd consider buying a Titan over a GTX 690 if the 690's microstuttering is noticeable enough (depends on user sensitivity and severity).