fx 8350 or g3258

I was thinking of giving my son my AMD quad core and picking up A g3258 I'm just curious as to how much it will bottleneck my r9 290
the plus siDe is I will be able to get a mini ITX motherboard and case to do a small form factor build and better upgrade path

Edited by jdm_freek

Yeah the g3258 isnt for high end video cards or games that benfit from multicore.

You could just get a i5 instead of a 8350 and be all good.

I just paired a g3258 ooced to 4.5ghz with a gtx 750ti and it got the same results with a i7 4770k. The gtx 770 on the other hand took a hard hit.

Nothing wrong with what you have, why not get your son the g3258?

Read the original post... "Side benefit is a better upgrade path" for him in a SFF build. He is looking to justify the spend to the wife so he gets the upgrade as I read between the lines. 

It will get bottlenecked quite a bit, and not only the card, but the more recent game really like multi-cores.

Which games?

Watchdogs

assassins creed unity

ryse: son of rome

call fo duty: advanced warfare

crysis 3

dragon age: inquisition

witcher 3

any recent rts game

any recent mmo game

shadow of mordor

far cry 4

and so on.

I included non released games in there as well since they ask a quad-core as a minimum, so i expect a duo-core to be bottlenecked by it quite a bit.

Watchdogs

assassins creed unity

crysis 3

witcher 3

any recent rts game

any recent mmo game

shadow of mordor

far cry 4

I haven't seen any benchmarks showing this yet - if you've found some I'd like to read them. Tech Report did a pretty in-depth review of the 3258 and it stomped on the 8350 in every test in terms of 99th percentile frame times (and that included Crysis 3).

Watchdogs

assassins creed unity

crysis 3

witcher 3

any recent rts game

any recent mmo game

shadow of mordor

far cry 4

I haven't seen any benchmarks showing this yet - if you've found some I'd like to read them. Tech Report did a pretty in-depth review of the 3258 and it stomped on the 8350 in every test in terms of 99th percentile frame times (and that included Crysis 3).

Assuming every chip overclocks at 4.8GHz lol

They didn't even oc the 8350 to 5GHz~, so that review isn't really anything to go by.

At stock clocks the pentium scores horrible, as expected.

Not only that, but they didn't have watchdoges in there, one of the newer games who love multi-cores.

If you find a benchmark of the 3258 running wd, mordor, or ryse, and out performs the 8350, lemme know ;)

And anyone buying one won't leave them at stock clocks...4.5 GHz is easy even on stock cooling.

I'm not arguing for it - I'm just not seeing evidence of highly-threaded games even today.

And anyone buying one won't leave them at stock clocks...4.5 GHz is easy even on stock cooling.

I'm not arguing for it - I'm just not seeing evidence of highly-threaded games even today.

And any enthusiast that gets the 8350 won't overclock it you mean? :rolleyes:

You don't see it as you already have a high-end processor lol.

I do have a nice test for you to try out to sway your believes though.

Go into the bios, disable the cores until you have 2 left, run watchdogs and see your fps plummet like mad.

Shadow of mordor and ryse work just as well if you don't have WD.