SSD intermittently not booting

telc

Hi guys,

Ive just recently upgraded from x58 to x79. All is good except....my vertex 3 Max iops SSD is intermittently refusing to boot even not being recognised in the BIOS now and then. Most of the time it just stops at "disk boot failure, insert system disk...." I have tried different SATA controllers but to no avail. I have the storage controller on the SSD set to AHCI but when I changed it to IDE it booted fine. With my previous mobo (Rampage III) I had no issues in AHCI. When I put it back into AHCI it booted fine too straight away but the next time I was having boot failure issues again. Now....I dont know if putting it into IDE was a coincidence as the fault is intermittent, I guess I will monitor it further. Just wondering if anyone has encountered the same or similar issues. Any tips or solutions or is the OCZ Vertex just very temperamental as I have heard.

cheers guys,

My system:

Intel 3930K

Asus Rampage IV Formula (latest BIOS)

OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops SSD (latest BIOS)

Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133mhz 16gb

Running windows 7 x64

Did you do a clean windows install?

Thanks for your reply Stonerboy779. No, I did not do a clean install. I was wondering about that actually. Was hoping to get away without reinstalling windows but if that is what is causing my issues I surely will. I just noticed "oossdtrimtemp" files in the root of my ssd....not sure what that is doing there....maybe from going AHCI to IDE and back again.....