What OS should I run

slick2500

I want to load a different OS on my netbook and I am not sure what OS to go with. It is currently running Windows 7 Starter and it runs so slow that I don't even use it much for anything. The specs are Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz CPU 2gb of ram and a 320Gb hard drive. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lighter version of linux like lubuntu or windows 8.1 would run reasonably well on it, however if you really plan to keep it putting in an SSD will make a HUGE difference.  My old AspireOne with the N270 was a totally different animal with the 30GB SSD (That was a "long" time ago, of course bigger would be smarter now) I put in it vs the mechanical HDD, only other change was Win 7 Starter to Ultimate for the SSD (I had a free copy).  I honestly thought it was more CPU limited than it really was, just the cheap HDDs they toss in are bottom of the barrel performance and it really showed.  

EDIT: I should really add in that before I would spend much cash on it at all I would spend the $200-350 on a basic windows 8.1 tablet with a detachable keyboard and likely end up much better off.

Edited by cchalogamer

How much of that memory do you use?  Linux, if you like it seems best answer. SSD would help.

Bay Trail is a much better atom. If you need Windows OS.

fwiw microcenter has some WinBook on sale in store, prices are tempting. Do not know how close prices are to what they sell for elsewhere but probably worth a look.

10 Inch WinBook W8.1 and 1 yr Office 365 $200, 2 GB and 32 GB.

I use a Dell Venue 8 PRO, (bought refurb) and it suits me very well.  Microsoft changed their licensing fees for mobile/low end market.

New units built under this have a price advantage.

If Windows 8.1 does not work out for you,.. I think you will be happy with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS,.. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Your Atom N270 performance will be sluggish with any Windows version OS,.. but should be noticeably smooth/snappy with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.

Ubuntu 14.10 is latest version I haven't tried it yet,.. but 14.04.1 LTS is solid OS for your 1.6GHz CPU with 2GB memory.

Edited by Braegnok

If Windows 8.1 does not work out for you,.. I think you will be happy with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS,.. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Your Atom N270 performance will be sluggish with any Windows version OS,.. but should be noticeably smooth/snappy with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.

Ubuntu 14.10 is latest version I haven't tried it yet,.. but 14.04.1 LTS is solid OS for your 1.6GHz CPU with 2GB memory.

I was running Win 8.1 in a VM with only 1.5GB and it ran pretty decent, though the atom would be the hard part moreso than the memory

The minimum system requirements for Windows 8.1 is 1GHz processor and 1GB memory,.. perhaps sluggish was a bit harsh description so I stand corrected.

You can call it "pretty decent" performance. :no:

Edited by Braegnok