my bloody dilemma !

knightiran

hello all,please help me guys.

my system:

spec..jpg

i had sold my GTX 780 and decided to buy Asus GTX 970 STRIX x 2 for 2 way SLI.
but recently i found out that using SLI have many limits such as buying a better power and also a better cpu cooler ( water cooler ) due to an issue known as BottleNeck !
my friend told me if you want to get 100% performance from 2 cards you have to OC your cpu up to 4.5GHz and cool it by a better cooler.
as i am not into OC and as i know, overclocking a hardware for long time use will definitely decrease it's life time ! i can't convince my self that using at 3.5 GHz vs 4.5GHz will have same results in CPU life time and it's stress ! would they be same ? i don't think so really
by this, i think SLI will be hard and annoying for me !

now, i made another decision and want to ask you to help me between these:

1: buy 970 x 2 ,,, a new power ,,, water cooler ( my cooler is Deep Cool ice matrix 400 ) at a really higher price in compare to #2
2: buy a gtx 980 and nothing more. with almost half price of #1

as i calculate, 980 gives average 15 fps more than 970.
and 970 x 2 give average 35 fps more than 980.
both have calculated in 17 games at 1920 * 1080.

i really have been confused ! please help me... thanks again.

1. A 4770K isn't going to bottleneck two GTX 970's in SLI at stock frequencies (which turboboosts up to 3.9GHz).

2. What is your PSU?

3. While two cards in SLI/Crossfire will always have better performance for the price, not all games support it during the initial launch. Some people just don't like it, either.

4. There is no game that you're playing that probably even needed you to upgrade from a single GTX 780, unless you have a monitor that has higher than 60Hz refresh rates (96Hz, 110Hz, 120Hz 144Hz, etc.), or you also upgraded your monitor to play at higher resolutions (i.e., playing from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1440).

5. If you really needed the extra GPU boost in games, you could have gotten another GTX 780 to SLI, and it would give you just about the same performance as two GTX 970's in SLI.

Anyways, my advice would be to buy a single GTX 980. At 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz, it's going to run every game you need it to, smoothly.

thank you guys.

i sold the 780.

u mean can i run 970 SLI without need to OC my CPU and changing my cooler to a water one ?

and can i use VGA at full performance ?

In a word.......Yes.  In synthetic benchmarks the CPU counts toward additional performance scoring but in games most of the time not so much anymore. Now with that being said you can boost your FPS by overclocking the 970's. 

You did not mention what power supply you have to run these two cards but with the Maxwell architecture they are using much less than the kepler predecessors.  

Overclocking, done properly, very rarely reduces the lifespan of your parts as well. Generally speaking your parts will be obsolete long before they die even with a pretty hefty overclock on them.

That said, your CPU even at stock will be fine regardless of what GPU setup you go with. Sure, you can always go faster, but to say that you need to get a better cooler and overclock just to run SLI is incorrect.

If your power supply is any good and you have an SLI capable board I don't see any reason (besides cost) that would stop you from getting a pair of 970s.

My test system that is fully water cooled and overclocked to 4.5Ghz uses 344w under load with a highly overclocked GTX 970 so you are well within the power limits of your system with that 1000w PSU.

My test system uses 7-120mm fans, 1 140mm fan and a 200mm fan along with a D5 water pump, a pair of SSD's and nothing else outside of the CPU, DRAM and motherboard. 

firstly i should appreciate you guys for answering all my questions patiently.
secondly, i decided to change my PSU from Green 750w OC to Enermax Platimax 1000W Platinium.
and changing cooler from Deep Cool Ice Matrix 400 to a mid range water cooler, Enermax Liqtech 120X-HP for a better and cooler CPU system.it can be helpful i think.

the last thing is VGA,
i like to have a pair of 970 instead of one 980. as i calculated according to TechPowerUp 980 & 970 SLI reviews, a pair of 970 will have average 35 fps more than a 980 in 17 games !
i want to know, in worst case, if BottleNeck happend, how many percents of performance will i lose proximately ? how many fps will i lose proximately ?
for example from 35 fps , how many will lost ?
Thanks Again