GTX580 still worth it?

Imagine

Don't make me pull my Q6600 and E8400 out and do some testing :lol: Sadly I've sold the GTX 770 and 760 but I've still got a R9 290X and a GTX 670 here.  

Honestly I would expect the Q6600 to hold back a GTX 770 some, however given the options I think the 770 is the better choice and could be in place when the CPU does get upgraded.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it will hold it back much if at all

If i have anything to go by, a phenom x4 @3.8ghz was bottlenecking my 4890 back in the day lol.

That is why i am a bit concerned.

I just cannot believe that to be true lol

My friend has an E8400 @4.06ghz and his 660Ti isn't being held back at all.

Did you compare video scores with different benchmark tools?

Try the 660ti in your pc, run a benchmark tool with video scores and see what the results are, i bet the video scores are a lot higher on your pc than on his.

When i had my phenom @3.6GHz, vs 3.8Ghz, it went up quite a bit (3dmark 06 and vantage), so i can only assume the card was held back by the processor.

Imagine - Definitely get the GTX 770 instead of the GTX 580.  The 580  you're being offered isn't really that good of a deal and the extra up front purchase price of the GTX 770 buys you a whole lot more performance for the price.

Technically your Antec 550W power supply has enough juice to run your setup, but I for one am not a big fan of adapaters (especially in your situation where it sounds like you are already running one molex to PCIe adapater), so you'll need to run another because as mentioned before the GTX 770 requires on 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe connector.

If I were you I would;

1. Grab the GTX 770 while the price is good

2. As soon as possible grab a 600W power supply (or larger) that natively supports the PCIe power connectors that you need - be sure to buy high quality model, instead of focusing on claimed wattage of cheaper units

Your CPU and memory upgrade can late until later, and when that time comes you'll already have a good compatible power supply and a really good video card.

If i have anything to go by, a phenom x4 @3.8ghz was bottlenecking my 4890 back in the day lol.

Try the 660ti in your pc, run a benchmark tool with video scores and see what the results are, i bet the video scores are a lot higher on your pc than on his.

When i had my phenom @3.6GHz, vs 3.8Ghz, it went up quite a bit (3dmark 06 and vantage), so i can only assume the card was held back by the processor.

Lol @ video scores, who cares about the scores :lol:

It games fine, I mean if you want to spend hundreds of dollars moving graph lines or making numbers bigger, you're free to do so but my friend uses his 660Ti for gaming and hasn't had any issues playing any newer games @ 1080P

Imagine - Definitely get the GTX 770 instead of the GTX 580.  The 580  you're being offered isn't really that good of a deal and the extra up front purchase price of the GTX 770 buys you a whole lot more performance for the price.

Technically your Antec 550W power supply has enough juice to run your setup, but I for one am not a big fan of adapaters (especially in your situation where it sounds like you are already running one molex to PCIe adapater), so you'll need to run another because as mentioned before the GTX 770 requires on 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe connector.

If I were you I would;

2. As soon as possible grab a 600W power supply (or larger) that natively supports the PCIe power connectors that you need - be sure to buy high quality model, instead of focusing on claimed wattage of cheaper units

Your CPU and memory upgrade can late until later, and when that time comes you'll already have a good compatible power supply and a really good video card.

Well the situation with my PSU is weird. I have 1 molex as standard but I have to pay Antec

If you want to determine a bottleneck, then you SHOULD care about the scores, just saying...

If I were you I would;

Well the situation with my PSU is weird. I have 1 molex as standard but I have to pay Antec

If you want to determine a bottleneck, then you SHOULD care about the scores, just saying...

Why all the flames when it'll play all the games?

Just because it doesn't bench well doesn't mean it can't game well, ya know?

Yes but the point of it all is that if a GTX 760 and a GTX 770 both perform the same with the CPU, then you're getting nothing extra out of the 770.  Sure both will "play the games" but the whole point of discussing what will and wont bottleneck is about not buying hardware that your system can't take advantage of.  Again just to be clear, I 100% support the option to go GTX 770 as I doubt it really is that big of a deal in this scenario.

Yes but the point of it all is that if a GTX 760 and a GTX 770 both perform the same with the CPU, then you're getting nothing extra out of the 770.  Sure both will "play the games" but the whole point of discussing what will and wont bottleneck is about not buying hardware that your system can't take advantage of.  Again just to be clear, I 100% support the option to go GTX 770 as I doubt it really is that big of a deal in this scenario.

That's the thing though, whatever he'd come across would be GPU bound far sooner than CPU bound. That's all I'm saying.

That's the thing though, whatever he'd come across would be GPU bound far sooner than CPU bound. That's all I'm saying.

Unless he is playing watchdogs :teehee:

For the posters information, i would go with the gtx 770 as well, even though it might get bottle necked by the processor, it is a good card and is quite "future proof" for your system if you decide to upgrade the processor etc.

If I were you I would;

Edited by Imagine