Borderlands 2 Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game reviews now? Sweet

We have done them before just not very often. Neoseeker does so many that we never need too, however I am leaning towards doing it for certain titles that come out on OCC. :)

We have done them before just not very often. Neoseeker does so many that we never need too, however I am leaning towards doing it for certain titles that come out on OCC. :)

Fair enough, not sure that the right sort of layout was nailed though. The review doesn't seem anywhere near as polished or nice as others are. Also a larger size of embedded screenshots would be good (not an issue with the pic zoom extension I have in chrome but for others they are) When its something like a game which is very graphically orientated, it is good to show off the graphics. After all there are no graphs now and I feel there place should be filled with screenshots.

Fair enough, not sure that the right sort of layout was nailed though. The review doesn't seem anywhere near as polished or nice as others are. Also a larger size of embedded screenshots would be good (not an issue with the pic zoom extension I have in chrome but for others they are) When its something like a game which is very graphically orientated, it is good to show off the graphics. After all there are no graphs now and I feel there place should be filled with screenshots.

I agree with Stoner...I think it's cool to have game reviews on OCC, but this review seems quite amateurish compared to other game reviews on other sites, as well as compared to our hardware reviews. And yes, this definitely needed higher-res photos.

I definitely don't like the "before sleep" and "after sleep" notations, and there just doesn't seem to be much flow to the article. The conclusion also seems to be a bit bland. I'm fine with there being no score, but there should at least be a pros and cons list like we have in our hardware reviews.

PS. I also think he doesn't fully grasp the severity of the "badass rank reset bug". Yes it's rare, but you don't simply lose your stat bonuses, you also lose any skins/heads you unlocked and the challenges remain labeled as completed for that character, so you'd have to create a new character to earn them again. Furthermore, while it may seem like those bonuses are negligible, it's important to keep in mind that they're essentially a substitute for the "weapon proficiencies" found in BL1. With no weapon proficiencies in BL2, badass tokens are the only way to boost your attributes outside of equipment.

PPS. Would have been nice to have a little gameplay video included too to show off the graphics, animations, and PhysX in motion.

SNIP

Agree with everything Clay said.

In following with the basic style of Hardware reviews I myself would like to see the first page as an introduction and brief description of the game. Much like is done with hardware reviews.

Have you introduction title and the description about the game, the company etc and then use a nice decent sized 1024p or so banner or screen or whatever of the game. One of the official pics, probably best to use the box art imho. So have something like this for borderlands 2 - http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&rlz=1C1FDUM_enAU477AU477&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=uEvQXSsOVTIXKM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_2&docid=BbYGX99y1toLQM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Borderlands2boxart3.jpg&w=250&h=355&ei=IXNuUJvyD4ahiAey6YFo&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=176&vpy=151&dur=1559&hovh=268&hovw=188&tx=92&ty=161&sig=109422838646273129227&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=100&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:75

Next in a hardware review you always have a spec and features page I think game reviews need this too. Just a simple page where you include the manufacture min and recomended specs. As well as any features the game may have like - PhysX, multiplayer, online/LAN play, etc.

After that in hardware review you go onto the testing. At this point in a game review I think it is time to break it down into three main sections (pages) Graphics and Sound - with info about art style, game engine, music and sounds etc. Next you'll have gameplay - where you can talk about the style of the game FPS, RPG, platformer and so on, talk about the mechanics of the game to explaining pros and cons of say a combat mechanic or talk about the ui especially if it is a console ported one. Talk at this point maybe also about the use of a gamepad. Third section talk about the Story put a spoilers tag around sensitive stuff but do have maybe one to two paragraphs about the setting of the game and where you start off, what you char is and where you are going, nothing that isn't alread available in trailers or in the first intro video.

Then as in hardware reviews as should be in game reviews imo, the Conclusion. Do as normal write what you throught and add a list of pros and cons as you saw them and give it the OCC gold, silver, bronze or maybe next time.

Just my two cents

Stoner

Edit: Oh and Jim this isn't to put down your sleep deprived review or anything :lol: