ESD are you safe or not?

greengiant912

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you utilize ESD protection when working on electronics?

• Yes
    • No

The thing about it is that the end users are not the only ones getting smarter about ESD.  All pcb manufacturers are well aware of the effects of ESD.  They now design pcbs to withstand quite a bit of ESD.  Think about it, most of us here know what ESD is and what it can do but most end users don't have a clue about it.  How would it look to an end users if they simply touch a part and their computer stops working?  Manufacturers assume that they end users know nothing about ESD and therefore take many precautions to avoid it.

I am not saying that you should ignore the effects of ESD but the days are gone that a microscopic ESD shock would kill a mobo or gpu.

If the electronic isn't grounded it is not too much help either, you could touch one ground and think you're at the same potential as the electronic is, which isn't exactly right but the difference is likely trivial in relation to the 2+ KV it takes to even feel it.

I've admittedly become more lax about ESD and electronics, I often touch metal before working on or handing bare electronics but a lot of the time don't even go that far. I've taken apart a couple laptops and hadn't taken ANY ESD prevention measures...but they're all still fine. (not counting the motherboard I set on fire, but that wasn't ESD's fault...or WAS it :P )

Carpet is one of the worst AZ   :)

I killed a 500 gb hd taking it out while my pc was on the carpet, a lesson learned, would never do it again.

I had my PS3 affected by ESD when it was on carpet for a bit. Put it up on a box afterwards but the damage was done to it. Got it fixed though and working fine since, not counting the hard drive that recently took a dive.

As for computer work, I do any installations on a tile floor or hardwood table. I grab the metal frame of the case first once I open it up. No problems yet with anything.

i got ESDs when i'm working in any air-conditioned room(cool side). even at non-carpeted floors(wood parquet finished) long as i'm on my sneakers with socks(either wool or cotton). touching a door knob or a co-worker would produce an almost visible sparks with an audible cracking sound which hurts a bit.

i just touch any bare metal before i touch anything inside my rig as my precaution every time i'm about to fix something. i'm comfortable working with it on top of my bed, room with ceramic tiles where i walk barefoot most of the time. never had any problem since.