ASRock Z77 SATA ports dead

"-"5v was what I meant. 

Things just got stranger. I dissasembled the machine, and set up the old MOBO. Now IT CAN'T SEE MY HDD's! My old DVD drive was found, but none of the HDD's or the SDD are detected by BIOS. I have 5 wires, and have tried all the slots. I don't get it. 

You cannot imagine how frustrated I am. Two HDD's, one with Win7 and the other with Linux Mint, and neither can be found on TWO different MOBO's? With different PSU's. CRAP!

NEVER fire up a board on a Anti-Static bag... those are designed to keep static out of the Inside of the bag so its on the outside.

ALWAYS make sure you have the 4-pin (or 8-pin) CPU power plug plugged into the board near the CPU socket.

ALWAYS make sure that there are NOT any extra motherboard Stand-offs  that you are not seeing that there are screw holes too on the board.... a lot of times there is an extra stand-off and hole on the left side by the PCI-E slot and this was eliminated on some boards... the stand off will be there but if there is no hole on the board you will have a direct short.

I didnt see any mention of it but did you try just hooking up 1 drive at a time and seeing if it was a flaky drive.. I've had a cd rom do weird things with my drive controller and make other drives not be detected or the system would not boot...

Ok.....My PSU tester indicated I was getting proper voltage, and my old DVD working confirmed it. I also hooked up a fan via Molex, it worked. 

2 of the 5 cables I tried were brand new, came with the MOBO. No joy. 

Set up on the box, actually, not the bag. 6-pin power connection was connected. I was VERY careful of the standoffs, I made that mistake once before. 

Tried each of the 3 drives individually, using each of 5 cables, in each SATA slot. Yes, 120 boots, on each MOBO. I have been at this since 9 am.  No joy. 

I have an external HD enclosure, so I hooked up each of the drives in that and plugged it via USB into this laptop. The HDD's did not spin up, and were not recognized by the laptop. The SSD was the same. It makes me wonder if something happened that blew all the drives. As the Blu-ray is reacting the same as the HDD's, but the DVD from the old machine worked, I now suspect I somehow blew all those drives. I have one other drive, my external backup, but I am afraid to hook that up because it is my only backup. I don't have any other way to test the drives. My path now looks like seeking outside help. I have a feeling that having to use my Dining room for this work is killing me. I have no dedicated space for this stuff anymore, and I think I am paying for it on this build. I think I will RMA the MOBO, and then look for a shop to assemble it for me where they have the proper setup to do it. I hate giving up, I really enjoy doing these builds, but I enjoy the computer more and at this point I just want it working. 

Thanks for all your advice, it was all good. Wevsspot, your info on this particular MOBO was critical. I still don't think the MOBO is bad, but am going to RMA it anyway. Might as well start fresh. 

Hate to hear that Mac.  Hard to imagine that every one of your drives bit the dust, but your testing methodology was sound and I can't think of any other way you could possibly test them more.  Was there any event that you might tie to the failed drives?  Thunderstorm, power surge, malicious hard drive eating virus?

Hate to hear that Mac.  Hard to imagine that every one of your drives bit the dust, but your testing methodology was sound and I can't think of any other way you could possibly test them more.  Was there any event that you might tie to the failed drives?  Thunderstorm, power surge, malicious hard drive eating virus?

I have to ask this, is there really  a virus that can kill a hd, in my 15 years of working on pc's I've never found a virus a reformat would not fix ?

No virus, I ran regular scans. There were no events that I could see causing this, but every drive that was hooked up when I booted the system the first time will not respond now. The DVD that was NOT hooked up still works. So apparently something happened at boot up. I did not see anything. The only outages were back in August when Sandy hit, and we did not get flooded, just lost power for 3 days. The computer functioned fine afterward,and I did not even have these parts then. 

Thanks again for your help.

The only time I've had that happen was when I used the wrong cable on a powersupply. I was swapping psu's and they where the same manufacturer just a different model, and didnt want to undo the one for the sata drives because it was all neetly tucked away.. I found out too late that for some reason they used the same plug to go into the psu but wired it different...thus frying the hd's. Long story short it could have been caused by the psu or a cable that the drives all shared..( or a power surge/brown out for that matter).

I have to ask this, is there really  a virus that can kill a hd, in my 15 years of working on pc's I've never found a virus a reformat would not fix ?

Malicious hard drive eating virus was meant tongue in cheek  :)