Yet another dead flash drive

Tjj226_Angel

I only have USB 2.0 ports, but if you reccomend benchmark software I'll run a few

you don't even have to go as far as using software. If you could just transfer like 5GB of various files (as if you were doing a back up) and tell me how fast windows is saying the transfer rate is, that is all I care about. Thank you in advance for any effort :thumbsup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If size and appearance are non-factors - the Patriot Supersonic Boost XT hands down.

I do like the specs on it, but can it handle the weigh of my keys? (about 2 lbs (about 1 kilogram for stoner boy :biggrin: )) It looks a little flimsy. Is that true? Or am I mistaken? And is the speed really that good?

You have to understand that we live in a community in which I am the computer guy........for everyone. Last weekend, things got.............out of control. People I guess now know that I like to go to my friends house on Saturdays and they were waiting by their mailboxes to flag me down to fix their computers. Literally, 3 people flagged me down because they had a virus or their hard drive was going bad. Since I was transferring files over to another computer of theirs...my entire Saturday was pretty much shot and it was due to the small size and slow speed of my current flash drive.

This is why I am being so particular about getting a very good flash drive. I want to make sure that if this kind of nonsense ever happens again (in which case I might learn to say no, or charge 40 bucks) I don't have to loose so much time on a slow or small flash drive. (and yes, people here are fairly well off and usually have USB 3.0 on their PCs, so I am 100% positive I can use the full functionality of 3.0)

Here is the one I am looking at getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220584 but I am not so sure that it is a good solid choice. It seems like the boost xt one from patriot is a good choice for speed and reliability, the corsair flash drive has amazing reliability but slower performance, and the patriot magnum has lots of space amazing speed, but the reliability seems to be lacking (according to reviews).

I want to order by tonight so it can get here in time for RMAing my laptop (cat played with the power cord as it was charging and broke the locks to keep the battery in place (good thing I bought asus)) and back up 63 (no exaggerating :cry: :cry: :cry: ) other laptops for people ASAP so people can stop calling me :mad: :lol:

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

I have and love my 32GB Corsair Survivor flash drive. USB 3.0, Waterproof to 200 metres, rugged aluminum housing, and it has a good weight to it. Some people don't like having to unscrew the housing in order to use it... but I'm rougher than most with my things.

They say it's rugged, but I dropped mine sometime last year and guess what. The physical drive broke off from the rest of the housing because Corsair secured it with GLUE.

In there defense the drive itself still works fine.

Patriot claims 100/70MBs read/write over USB 3.0 and I can get a supersonic 64GB for $119 in aus so you should get it around $100 I guess.

Fairly strong aluminium housing and again most USB damage is done when you plug in or remove the drive.

Edit: just noticed your link.... You can get the magnum for $104 very jealous.

Edited by Stonerboy779

HyperX for the win!!!!

I have used this brute like an SSD and over USB3 it was FAST!!!!!!

GAHHHHHHHHHH don't tempt me. That is the one I really want, I just can't bring myself to spend that much. On one hand I have been spending WAYYYYYY too much money (just bought a razer naga molten edition) and on the other hand I just got a job today, and I sort of want to celebrate.

I know I have a spending problem, and I promised myself I would not go above 100, but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO SHINY!!!!!!

This is exactly why I am where I am with my computer. I said I would stick with my NZXT Gamma case and then I saw how shiny the 800D was. I was going to have a responsible i5 build and ended up going all out on an i7 build.

Do I try to cure myself by going with the responsible boost XT model, or do I feed my lust for tech. WHY COMPUTER ED?!?!?! WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In all seriousness though, in your guys opinions, are there reasons why this would be a responsible choice (e.g. long life time outweighs the price? Warranty?). I am curious to see what you have to say.

I think most of us are probably speaking from experience (which is driving our "favorites" and our recommendations). I can't say one good or bad thing about the HyperX because I've never used one. But my Patriots travel with me everywhere. I've dropped them, stepped on them, unplugged them (not thinking) without using the safely remove hardware option, and even ran one through the washing machine not once, but twice. Heck my grandson even chewed and slobbered on that same one and they still work great. So make a note to self, if you go with the Patriot be advised that teething babies really like them because of the rubberized coating.

If I had only one complaint (and it's a small one) you gotta keep up with the removable cap.

Your key ring isn't really 2lbs is it? Even if your exagerating a little, excessive weight on your car's ignition could . it up.

No, it is more like, if it ever gets to the point where my keys becomes 2 pounds, I would want the flash drive to hold up.

And I think I will try to be responsible and take Wev's suggestion. It seems like he is pretty happy with it and it is at a very reasonable price. Thank you for all of your help once again guys :cheers::biggrin: