Denon D600 vs HiFiMan HE-400

WhenKittensATK

Audio Source - ASUS Xonar DG / Zune / Nexus 5

Music - Pop / Hip Hop / Folk

Previous HPs - Beyer DT 770 Pro / Panasonic HTF600S

I did some skimming around and saw two headphones that stuck out to me: Denon D600 and HiFiMan HE-400. The D600 I can get for ~$230 and the HE-400 I can get for $300-400. Leaning towards HE-400, since I never had open headphones. Might pick up a pair of HiFiMan RE-400 for mobile as well.

Audio Source - ASUS Xonar DG / Zune / Nexus 5
Music - Pop / Hip Hop / Folk
Previous HPs - Beyer DT 770 Pro / Panasonic HTF600S

I did some skimming around and saw two headphones that stuck out to me: Denon D600 and HiFiMan HE-400. The D600 I can get for ~$230 and the HE-400 I can get for $300-400. Leaning towards HE-400, since I never had open headphones. Might pick up a pair of HiFiMan RE-400 for mobile as well.

The HE-400s are kind of harsh in the highs, and the new denon headphones are horrible compared to the older models. You would be much better off saving up and trying to either get used HE-500s or Denon D5000s. Both of those headphones are leaps and bounds better than the ones you have chosen. I know there is a big price difference, but you might be paying ~100 bucks more for double the sound quality. 

If those two choices do not suit you, here are some other options. 

If you want open headphones, go with the sennheiser HD600s or 650s http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/sennheiser/products/sennheiser-hd-600-audiophile-headphones-hd600

The HD600s are more neutral. They have really nice bass and a fantastic midrange with clear/soft highs. The HD650s are just a tad darker and bass heavy. I prefer the HD600s since they sound a bit more natural, but depending on your musical preference, the HD650s could be the right decision instead.

You can also find both headphones used for sub 300 bucks in great condition.

If you want closed headphones, you might want to take a look at the fostex t50-rp and modding them yourself or getting the Mr. Speakers mad dog version (already modded). Then you would have some money for a decent dedicated amp as well. 

^^^ I agree. I had a quick 5 minute listen to my buddies d600's and I didnt like the sound compared to my d2000's. 

To be fair, it was a biased comparison though. He was using one of those cheap fiio amps. I use a CEntrance DACmini at my desk and a Headamp Pico when I'm not at home.

Have you considered Grado's SR325i? They can be had on amazon for $300. Grado makes great hifi headphones. Might not be as resistant as others, but if you use them primarily at home that shouldn't be a problem.

God no. Stock grados are horrible. They rest on your ears, they are more heavy than they need to be, and they are just all around uncomfortable. Once they have been modded, then sure, but stay the heck away from stock grados. 

That is not the impression I've gotten, so please refrain from generalizing and provide your subjective opinion.

First off I have heard the whole grado line, so my opinions are both subjective and objective. 

My subjective opinion is they are are horribly uncomfortable. 

My objective proof is that the metal drivers rest directly on your ear. Unless you don't have ears you will have a solid driver vibrating right on your ear. There is not a single person I have met who could listen to them for more than 4 hours straight without having done type of mod. 

My objective proof that actually proves my prior subjective proof is that there are an untold number of forum threads dedicated to modding the grados because they are too uncomfortable. There would be no "comfy grado" mod if the grados were already comfy -_-

I have not used them for four hours straight, therefore I cannot disagree with you. I never use any headphones for that long, so I cannot disagree with you. However, they have been fine for me for about two hours of use.

Also, I listed these, because the sound quality is good for the price, if you ask me. Sound is a subjective thing, so you may disagree. But they are some of the best sounding headphones at that price point in my opinion. And no, I haven't heard everything at that price point, but like I said, they are real good, if you ask me.

I have not used them for four hours straight, therefore I cannot disagree with you. I never use any headphones for that long, so I cannot disagree with you. However, they have been fine for me for about two hours of use.

Also, I listed these, because the sound quality is good for the price, if you ask me. Sound is a subjective thing, so you may disagree. But they are some of the best sounding headphones at that price point in my opinion. And no, I haven't heard everything at that price point, but like I said, they are real good, if you ask me.

Oh yeah, sound quality is decent, no doubt. That is the crux of grado. Great sound, terrible comfort. I should also mention that you can get after market cups, pads, headbands and so on for these headphones. The issue is that 300 dollar price tag quickly becomes a 500 dollar price tag after installing all the aftermarket parts. 

I mean, if the OP likes to mod, then sure, the grado 325is have a crap ton of potential. But stock....no. 

AZN, I was looking for headphones all morning. I went to my Best Buy store, and we had the Denon D600s. I've been considering getting them, or something similar. They sound incredible. The only reason I didn't get them is because I picked up some Audio Technica ANC9s for $145.

Edited by Onion