Most likely doing something wrong.

cirro

I think im going to file down the top of this cpu.. is de-lidding the same as lapping my older cpus? I got some decent results thermally last time.

Yes and no, similar concept but...

-side note-

-Ivy are you saying that

AMD = more headroom for OC's? I hope I didn't hear that right.. I have always viewed AMD since X2's to be inferior, are the times a changin' now?

They're inferior clock per clock but they're still pretty potent performers in select scenarios and great gaming systems. Realtime usage will probably have the same experience as intel and as literal clock speed overhead, they seem to be a little more friendly.

This is almost 5.0ghz stock lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113351&clickid=wZY17pWHRROWVQkXJGxyyRimUkTRoWVFQyhHXw0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

All thought about de-lidding have been canceled from that video. I cant imagine doing that :| I can't be the only one who thinks that looks crazy

Lol, Don't let the video scare you, that's the easy way, the other way is to use a sharp utility knife, it's slower but much safer, google it and you will find a video.

:lol: this, I just posted that other video because I love it (It WOULD help you vent your frustration with the CPU)

There is the exact-o knife method

Oh good lord, let me clear something up.  NEITHER METHOD LISTED IS REALLY SAFE FOR DELIDDING THE CPU

Both will work fine but using a knife is a very slow tedious process and for haswell is even more risky due to the VRM being to the left of the core and using a vise and hammer sends your CPU flying across the room most of the time and good luck stopping it :lol:

Two alternate ways that are MUCH MUCH safer and easy:

The best way I've found is the "modified vise method" as I choose to call it.  You take the CPU, place one edge of the heat spreader on one side of the vise, and place the PCB edge on the other side. You slowly tighten (takes some force, and a bigger vise that's attached to a table is better for this method) and the CPU and heat spreader will slowly start to com apart, once you get a millimeter or so of movement take it out of the vise and pull it apart. Easy and in my opinion the safest method.

The next is the one I actually tried first works great if you don't have a vise handy but have blocks of wood and a helper (I actually used the vise I had handy to hold a block of wood in place).  You take two blocks of wood, the blocks should be slightly different heights (about the thickness of the heat spreader) place the shorter of the blocks on a flat surface against a stable object you can whack a hammer against.  Now place the CPU with the edge of the IHS on the top edge of the block letting the PCB hang over the top.  Place the other block against the opposite side of the PCB firmly.  Now you whack the second taller block with a hammer similar to the video above and the same result except the CPU doesn't go flying and the heat spreader will stop the second block from moving to far and damaging the CPU core.  I WOULD however recommend a helper top hold the CPU PCB while you hit it with the hammer just for some extra security.

I know that's going to be hard to picture for most and I'm not really up to trying to draw it all out atm plus the only one I have left to delid is a 30 min drive away so I guess I'll have to explain with pics later :) 

If anyone wants to try a delid feel free to PM me with questions as I have done several now with zero dead CPUs and have tried all four of the methods listed at least once (though ONLY once for the two mentioned earlier in this thread)