Technics SU-X301 HTPC Stealth Mod

Stonerboy779

When I saw silverstone in your post I thought you were getting the same case Waco's had.

He's got the LC13B-E...I think I still like it a bit better. :P I love their cases though -- except for the Raven stuff.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw silverstone in your post I thought you were getting the same case Waco's had.

He's got the LC13B-E...I think I still like it a bit better. :P I love their cases though -- except for the Raven stuff.

Ahhh I actually considered that case first. However apparently that front swing down door can be touch on the weak side of things as well as the lower count of 3 1/4" HDD bays I do believe.

I may be able to do something today guys but no promises I have a massive ear ache and a little bit of a hangover that say I likely won't.

Next job will be to start jutting out the case with fans and also work out how I will mount the two additional 120mm P12s inside the case. The P12s will be helping the two front 80mm fans by pulling the air through the HDDs. All fans will be running on either lna or ulna (testing of noise and performance will decide that later) so having the extra fans will help.

Ahhh I actually considered that case first. However apparently that front swing down door can be touch on the weak side of things as well as the lower count of 3 1/4" HDD bays I do believe.

The internals between the two cases are identical IIRC. The door is actually pretty strong, Waco has had his like 3 years now and it looks brand new. :P

The internals between the two cases are identical IIRC. The door is actually pretty strong, Waco has had his like 3 years now and it looks brand new. :P

Actually you are right I did forget. Had a proper look either case is brilliant. Silverstone definitely makes quality stuff.

What do you think about the paint coat on the top of it though?

Waco managed to scratch his a few years ago - so be careful. It's not a powder coat as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the warning. What I find strange about it (not that it isn't powdercoat) is the texture to it. At least on my case it is a speckled texture and not the usual flat that you have on cases. I will say I am happy with the sheer thickness of the panels.

Alright going to find my camera and try motivate myself to get working on the cooling as well as attempting to work out just how I am suspending the P12s.

Some fans in

6899301343_30ca14f2e4.jpg

Here is what is going in some Noctura R8 80mm fans

6899306507_6d83ca2328.jpg

Had to remove the supporting bar to get to the front fans, this is because the HDD bays needed to come out.

6899312341_5cfe128c36.jpg

If you look at all the pairs of holes on top of the different bays you can see that Silverstone has design the entire series of cases so that the main chassis and internals are all interchangeable. meaning they can manufacture more cheaply and give more product for your money. The holes line up with the supporting bar.

6899317963_92fa272d7e.jpg

One bay out, I will need to remove them again when it comes time to install HDDs which is rather annoying. Now to remove that piece of metal in my way.

6899323633_aaca4c26fe.jpg

With it gone you can see where the power on/off reset buttons and io ports are.

6899329091_c3701493ed.jpg

Started to install the fan and realised wait I am never going to make it work like this not enough room.

6899335071_e174bbea46.jpg

Much better with the mount removed from the cage instillation is very easy.

6899344953_dbfc95164b.jpg

Did the other one too

6899339611_2e382e5c40.jpg

Popped out the mesh on the side intake and then u was stumped

6899597577_d09d1b5cdb.jpg

The holes are not large enough for the anti vibration mounts or the screws they are way too small. First negative I have with the case.

Motivation for the day disappeared :lol: and now I need to find the battery charger for my cordless because using the corded drills is a little silly.

I am going to blame BP for this :lol:

However after talking about the LC13B-E it's got me wanting one...... although not for another HTPC and not entirely for this one either.

6900437097_9c3831117c_b.jpg

Hopefully this picture makes some sense to you guys. I will move onto this part once time and money permits. Since I out off buying a car for another six to twelve months :doh: I can afford to move onto the next part rather sooner than intended and that is with still paying of my years uni fees.

You're welcome? haha. It's a sexy case. I love it. Waco keeps wanting to change, but I won't let him. haha

Haha it is just going to be more money but the two cases either beside or stacked will look absolutely great and I did need somewhere to stick the amps when I eventually got to them.

So long as he is only planning on changing to another higher model Silverstone HTPC case then it is alright. Say one like the Silverstone LC16B-MR Black.

Looks great Stoner. The case looks great. I was just wondering if the cpu cooler was a little overkill? I mean, you really need one that big. I know Noctua makes really silent ones, and you talked about turning it into a mid range pc later on, so I guess it's justified :)

Looks great Stoner. The case looks great. I was just wondering if the cpu cooler was a little overkill? I mean, you really need one that big. I know Noctua makes really silent ones, and you talked about turning it into a mid range pc later on, so I guess it's justified :)

Nearly everything in the build is overkill :lol: however I can see it being used as a htpc/nas for well in to the future ~10+ years.

You cannot deny everything has been picked to last.

Also if you check on prices the Noctura Cooler was only $5 more I think it was than my other options for far superior cooling and noise.

So definately justified imho.

I will get work done today guys I promise my ear isn't aching so much and I can get stuff done.