Occ News: Site Design Has Been Updated

sdy284

Ok, after looking over it for a little while -

Firstly, I think the site needed a change. It was in danger of starting to look a bit dated.

So steps in the right direction there then :)

The things I'm not sure about as of now are -

- The new logo:

For me personally, it's not really an improvement over the original, and we all know how important logos are (I hope).

- Colour scheme:

I'm not sure about this, but to me it doesn't look like much time was put into laying out a strong and cohesive scheme.

I understand the reasoning behind keeping the old colours in there. You need continuity and want to be building on the site image rather than destroying it.

I feel that the old colours are fighting a bit with the newly introduced ones though.

Sample the colours on the page and put them together side by side and you might get what I mean

- Layout:

At the moment, it only really feels balanced with the ads in place.

Without them, there is something a bit uneasy about it.

The big video ad is horrible btw.

I'm fully aware some of that probably sounds harsh, but best to be honest eh.

Certainly positive steps though guys :thumbs-up:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that the new logo seems a little weak. May I suggest a new contest in the GFX Forum on designing the OCC Logo. I think it would be interesting to see what would turn up. I don't know if you still plan on making T-shirts, but I think a good relatively cheap prize would be a discount on the T-shirt or something small.

im not going to comment too much on it until i get used to it a bit but as of now, i dont like it at all. hopefully there will be an option to select "old occ" or something. sort of how there is the lo-fi and hi-fi versions of the site. and to whoever said it looks "attention whorish"....i agree, i personally dont like "flashy" but thats not to say others wont.

maybe if the OCC TechNews section and the Latest Articles and Latest Forum Topics sections were the same width.

the upper section looks good.

so maybe bring the width in on the OCC Tech News to match those above it.

it would lend some symmetry, and give you a little more room on the sides so they do not look squeezed.

just a suggestion...

i like it in general.

I think with some major tweaking it would be nice. Right now to me, it feels.. as if it were in pieces, it doesn't really go all that together, and the ad placements don't help.

But other then that I like it. Make the right side more 'usable', without scrolling too much.

Since im staff i have to keep my comment in moderation.

On a personal note i think it looks somewhat sloppy - but is indeed a set in the right direction, it just needs ALOT of fine tuning.

Wow, came on here to check the daily stuff and see anything new and I'm greeted with a new page. So... initial reactions:

Ad is too big next to forum posts, kinda takes away from the focus of this site, though I'm not sure of the ad requirements.

As others have said the colors just don't seem to go together well. There seem to be too many colors now.

Layout... maybe I'm wrong but don't most geeks just want to get to the point without a bunch of fluff? We don't need flashy headers to get peoples attentions when we have good reviews to do that anyways. I am a much bigger fan of the simpler more professional look. The layout of the previous site was great and the closer this could be to that would be nice.

Constructive criticism, take it as you will. But nice work though guys, nice to see OCC moving forward! I've been around here for some time now and there have always been plans but now it's nice to see things being done!