Another "Windows 7 not seeing all my RAM" thread...

Ok, so I've done some searching on this issue, and so far I don't have any resolution. I have Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit, and it's only seeing 8 of my 12 GBs of DDR3 RAM. CPU-Z sees all 12 GBs , and I do not have the "Maximum Memory" box checked in msconfig. Lastly, I do not have any "memory remap" (or anything even close) in my BIOS. Here is a screenshot to show what I'm talking about... See the areas circled in red. http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/TRWeiss1/Windows_Not_Seeing_All_RAM-1.png

Lastly, I know that I should have the "Number of processors" box checked in msconfig, but should I select 4 or 8? I have an i7 920 bloomfield which obviously has 4 physical cores, but 8 virtual cores if you enable HT (which I have enabled). For reference, I'm of course talking about the "faster system" in my sig. Thanks in advance!

Edited by TRWeiss1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for giggles have you double checked for proper seating of each of the ram modules ?... i only ask because i have messed myself up on a past build from not having a stick seated in the mobo properly...

just for giggles have you double checked for proper seating of each of the ram modules ?... i only ask because i have messed myself up on a past build from not having a stick seated in the mobo properly...

+1, or chances are; you might accidentally hit any of those sticks somewhat budged it as you were busy doing something inside your chassis lately.

try to re seat them.

FWIW, I've tried many different configurations of the memory...(Switching the sticks around to different slots) And I realize that it's triple channel, so I've got 3 of the 2GB sticks in every other slot, then the other 3 in the other 3 slots. I don't think it's a seating issue, because CPU-Z consistently recognizes the full 12GBs. If one or more of the sticks weren't seated, I imagine CPU-Z wouldn't see it.

Lastly, I can take out the overclock and see if that has anything to do with it. I want to say that I did that before, but I honestly can't remember. :P Thanks for the help guys! I'm really hoping to get this sorted out though... Would be great for the system to actually utilize ALL of my RAM!

Also, as another aside, I am JUST getting around to trying to solve this problem... It has been seeing 8 GBs for a long time... This isn't something recent, so it doesn't have to do with putting in the new video card/SSD. Good thought though!

Edited by TRWeiss1

And I realize that it's triple channel, so I've got 3 of the 2GB sticks in every other slot, then the other 3 in the other 3 slots. I don't think it's a seating issue, because CPU-Z consistently recognizes the full 12GBs. If one or more of the sticks weren't seated, I imagine CPU-Z wouldn't see it.

yes you're running it at triple channel mode, given that you populated all the 6 slots with six identical(volumes/running speeds etc..) modules. so there's no room for mistakes for proper RAM slots population for now.

we meant re-seat; pull out all those modules then re-insert on it's slots firmly. worth a try.

flashing the BIOS fixed it for some(if you haven't tried it tho), lastly... idk if you heard about the X58 boards gone hay wired with it's RAM volume detections due to 'overtightened' CPU coolers. you may check that also.

Edited by sword_fish

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been away gents... Been traveling quite a bit for work as of late. Anyway, thinking that I may have possibly even had some bad RAM, I purchased 24 GBs of G-Skill DDR3 1600 (triple channel). Installed the memory, seated it firmly, and the system is STILL only seeing 2/3 of the overall memory! I'm almost wondering if I have 2 bad memory slots, but then that doesn't explain why CPU-Z is still seeing the full amount. See pic here. => http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/TRWeiss1/Not_Seeing_All_RAM.jpg

Can anyone else explain this? It is seeing 16 GBs in the BIOS and in Windows, but 24 in CPU-Z. Now if it was seeing 16 GBs *EVERYWHERE* I'd instantly think that I had some bad memory slots... Any ideas? Help is always appreciated. Thanks!