Quiet/Effective CPU Cooling Fan

Narcotic

water cooling is very quite indeed but it all depends on what route you want to go. I just bought a simple one loop setup which is inclosed. I really don't want to drop a couple hundered easly on a nice high end water cooling setup. So far I've had no problems out of it what so ever. Temps stay right around 35 to 40 under full load of cpu I only have one fan on the rad right now but I'm planning on going with a push pull soon.

Well if money isn't an issue, then then it comes down to space.  If you can fit it, a Hydro H100i it is great for an 'off the shelf' water cooler, or for an air system the Phanteks PH-TC14PE looks great and is just as cool.  They have different space requirements so it's what works for you (aka your case).

I still have an old Coolermaster V10 on my old PC which still allowed me to clock my i5-2500k to 4.3GHz without any major temperature concerns. In our currency it is about R1000 ( maybe around US $100).

water cooling is very quite indeed but it all depends on what route you want to go. I just bought a simple one loop setup which is inclosed. I really don't want to drop a couple hundered easly on a nice high end water cooling setup. So far I've had no problems out of it what so ever. Temps stay right around 35 to 40 under full load of cpu I only have one fan on the rad right now but I'm planning on going with a push pull soon.

+1 on water-cooling but buying a custom system could cost a lot, although I do get excellent performance out of my XSPC loop. It also depends on the type of fans that you using for the radiator installation, my computer sounds like a jet engine even without the push fans running. I know the H80i comes with a USB interface that you can adjust the fan speed, monitor the temprature and other goodies that should suite your needs. Here it costs about R1300 ( maybe around US $130).

Would it be worth it to invest in a water cooling system?  I mean I know they're awfully quiet, and from what I understand quite effective.

But are they overrated at all?

Custom water-cooling is always the best option and I don't think they are overrated at all. Only thing is they have some maintenance cost.

If you want to get rid of the maintenance cost, get closed-loop coolers like Corsair H80/80i/100/100i etc.

I don't think water cooling is ever warranted in this day and age with chips running so cold...unless you're going for extreme numbers, I'd only recommend self contained water for convenience and increased memory compatibility

I'm still using a 5 year old pump and radiator. Three fans aon a 360 rad and only one replaced. I use demieralised water and no bits in the water if I shine a torch through it.

The three fans are noisy enough but so is my power supply, so I put up with it.

Noise is relevant. Gunfire and grenades in STALKER or BF3 cover the noise, but if I want to lie down and read a book, the noise intrudes a bit.

I live with it or turn the rig off.

H100i is on sale for 105 shipped on newegg. Won't find an air cooler that cools as well, and after spending 60+ for a good heatsink and another ~20 on fans the price isn't a big difference.

The older smaller units like the H50s were beaten by good air coolers and were not smart investments, but the newer ones are not a bad deal. Very quiet and cool surprisingly well - not as good as a full loop, but no maintenance.

I've got an H70 on my 7970 :).