*Urgent!* Need help finding new video card (Purchasing w/in hour)

THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD IS BASICALLY WHAT I AM DECIDING ON, THE INFORMATION BELOW WAS WHAT I WAS ORIGINALLY THINKING BUT HAVE SINCE RECONSIDERED.

Haven't touched my PC in years. Last upgrade to it was in 2011. Has been in pieces for most of the last three years. Trying to get back into a little bit of gaming and just my computer in general. I found all my old parts, slapped em together yesterday, only to find that my eVga 8800GT had been destroyed (not exactly sure how, maybe storage in 120+F conditions. looked like melted plastic under the heatsink?)

Either way, I now have everything put together but no video card. Luckily, NewEgg has will-call where I live, so I can order the part and pick it up within the hour or two. I have $250 to spend, I'd like to spend more in the $120 - $200 range. Obviously don't need anything super high end right now. But I have been out of the whole PC loop for quite some time, everything has obviously changed in the last 4+ years. Here is my current build, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (I was a big nVidia eVga fanboy back then, not sure how they fair today.)

Old/Dead Video Card:

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

Case:

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

Motherboard: 

Intel BLKD975XBXLKR

Processor:

Intel Core2Duo E6600 (Can't remember exactly nor find receipt)

Ram:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) PDC22G6400LLK

Power Supply:

FSP Group AURUM GOLD 750W ATX12V/EPS12V

I'm sure most of it is super outdated, but it is what it is and what I am currently working with (makes me want to throw up looking at the prices I paid for all those parts.... all in the $200 - $300+ range/each at the time)

So with all that in mind, any help is beyond appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Edited by alleyezonme3

New cards at Newegg or Amazon, you can find a GTX 760 or GTX 670 or an R9 270X (similar to HD 7870's) for $250 and under.

Used cards on forums, you can find HD 7950's (similar to R9 280's) for near $200, and HD 7970's (similar to R9 280X's), or GTX 670's (performs slightly faster than GTX 760's), and sometimes even GTX 680's (similar to GTX 770's) for $250 and under.

EVGA not lifetime? They might upgrade ya to something nice if you send it in. Otherwise there's no reason to be a big EVGA fanboy :teehee:

I'd try that first and maybe, even if you don't like the replacement, you could sell it to give you a better budget or just more money in your pocket

New cards at Newegg or Amazon, you can find a GTX 760 or GTX 670 or an R9 270X (similar to HD 7870's) for $250 and under.

Used cards on forums, you can find HD 7950's (similar to R9 280's) for near $200, and HD 7970's (similar to R9 280X's), or GTX 670's (performs slightly faster than GTX 760's), and sometimes even GTX 680's (similar to GTX 770's) for $250 and under.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know the differences in these cards. And I thought ATI w/ AMD and nVidia w/ Intel? Maybe I am completely wrong there.

I will definitely order from NewEgg, due to their will-call center being in my city. And great return policy/customer service.

So, GTX 760 or 670 seems like what I should be looking at?

Also, what is all this new "use your VGA/CPU to mine bitcoins" thing I keep seeing? Can I really use my PC to just generate currency? What is the cost of this to me (besides, I am assuming, using electricity and the stress of constantly running non-idle)?

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know the differences in these cards. And I thought ATI w/ AMD and nVidia w/ Intel? Maybe I am completely wrong there.

I will definitely order from NewEgg, due to their will-call center being in my city. And great return policy/customer service.

So, GTX 760 or 670 seems like what I should be looking at?

Also, what is all this new "use your VGA/CPU to mine bitcoins" thing I keep seeing? Can I really use my PC to just generate currency? What is the cost of this to me (besides, I am assuming, using electricity and the stress of constantly running non-idle)?

It is all AMD now, they used to brand there cards ATI but I guess it was just easier to use one name. There is no only one card works with intel or amd procs. So find the one you like and go with it. 

The whole bitcoin mining thing has pretty much run its course, there is still money to be made but the low hanging fruit has been picked. The electricity would be noticeable, research it and see if you would like it. The cost is reduced longevity of graphics cards (running full stress 24-7 isn't good for anything) and that's about it.

I will definitely looking into the eVga lifetime warranty. But would still like to pick up a card now, and maybe just have a spare one for another build if eVga decides to send me one.

What do you guys think of this card:

PNY VCGGTX660XPB GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Maybe some recommendations on better cards for same price / cheaper cards with same performance.

Another one I was thinking, even though more expensive is:

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

I'd get this 760 (If buying new, and not waiting for the warranty replacement... otherwise you'd do much better doing one of both of those things first)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121775&clickid=wZY17pWHRROWVQkXJGxyyRimUkTQW022nSLGw80&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Are you planning to build a new system in the near future? If yes, the 760 would be a better investment. If you just want a working system, go for the 660 or some cheaper card (HD7770-7870 or GTX650-650Ti maybe?), since the rest of the system will probably be a bottleneck to both cards (correct me if I'm wrong).

Are you planning to build a new system in the near future? If yes, the 760 would be a better investment. If you just want a working system, go for the 660 or some cheaper card (HD7770-7870 or GTX650-650Ti maybe?), since the rest of the system will probably be a bottleneck to both cards (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's what I was thinking, that the rest of my PC is a bottleneck for some of these recommended cards.

I do want to build a PC sometime in the near future, but I would still keep this one running just more for multimedia purposes and no gaming.I definitely just want something to get my PC to work. Mostly will be playing the new counter-strike anyway which barely needs any VGA power.

Are there any cards that are even under $100 that would work for the new counter-strike game and later just for watching movies / using internet?

Thanks for all the help guys, y'all are the best. I forgot how nice everyone here is.... definitely getting back to this forum!