Home Elecrical Question

Phil

Not really sure why anyone was worried, the worst that could have happened was a circuit breaker tripped.

Electric things don't just burst into flames and they wont shock you unless you're touching bare metal. Its science not magic.

Common sense goes a long way, I'm glad you fixed it yourself and didn't resort to calling a 'professional'. :P

I have worked with electronics all my life and believe me they can just burst into flames.

With that said yes common sense goes a long long way.

Well with 40+ year old parts you can never be too careful. :)

Every house over 40 years old is full of 40 plus year old parts.

I trust you'll ignore the obvious opportunity to make a joke about my age. :D

Oh I know...my current place is scary in terms of wiring. :lol:

that depends on the cost per kilowatt hour....here in the city we pay  $0.15 per Kw/h  in the outskirts it skyrockets to $0.26 per Kw/h then you have business rates of $0.85 per Kw/h

electric in the city is way cheap

Electricity is expensive here, but we heat with a wood burning furnace and only use electric for occassional suplementation.  The heater I just replaced had been broken for 20 years, but now we need to heat to the standards of an elderly MIL, so I was motivated (you can read that nagged) to fix it.  The main reason I wanted to use that old heater was that it was an exact fit and I didn't need to modify the baseboards.  :)

Try plugging a 120v heater into 220 sometime. Its a good light show. :lol:

Well that falls under common sense doesn't it?  :tongue: 

Then again as they say, common sense isn't common.

That's why I've always preferred the term horse sense over common sense. I know horses don't do electrical work, but the concept is still the same, much less the reaction to trying to push a bad idea.