ITX Gaming Build Series

VaporX

Okay the blog entry for the motherboard section of our build is up. Got to say I was disappointed on this part of the build. Not a single board maker was interested in letting use an FM2 solution for an ITX build and no one has an AM3+ ITX board. Also a couple of the board makers held this whole process up by tell us they would send a motherboard for the build, one even spend 45 minutes on the phone with me to talk about our project and then follow up with an email to confirm shipping info, and then suddenly would not return calls or emails and would not send the board they said they would.

I can handle companies saying no, when it comes of trying to get review samples but when they out right lie to me, that ticks me off to no end. That reflects to me an attitude of the company and that in turn reflects how I feel a consumer could get treated. I mean if you will lie and duck the press that wants to show off your product what are you going to do to people you already took money from?

I am going to just buy one here in a few weeks and do it myself. The good news with buying the product for review is if there is an issue I have ZERO reason to be diplomatic :rolleyes:.

I built a mini-itx rig for my new media server... I used the Node-304 and the ASRock FM2 A85-Gold board... reason being it has USB 3.0 and 7 SATA slots it works very well with only two issues... 1) eSATA onboard didnt work with my Port-Multiplier even though ASRock said it supported PM mode but then again said it didnt. It may have with the correct driver for it but I installed the as shipped drivers.

Another issue is that it is picky with ram. It does NOT like the samsung low voltage 1.35 ram or any variant. It will boot and run but only is the 1.35v XMP profile is set but then in Single Channel mode. Running regular Geil black dragon works but WEI score are 4.9 for ram... not sure the issue there.

My only grip with the node 304 is you need Left Angle SATA cables... not really an issue as once you figure that out and order them cable management is very nice... 6inch and 8 inch SATA cables work very well. Awesomely quiet case and I would use another in a heartbeat...