Bit more cpu juice?

I have a little overclock on my 965BE. I want to push it a little more but it crashes. I tried multiplier 17 then 16.5, but both wont play. Will a voltage boost make the difference of play/no play?

The default was (I think) 1.375 but now it runs at supposedly, 1.4375, according to the BIOS. Lordred gave me the overclock details to apply and said the CPU should be 1.425 but it was,t enough voltage on my motherboard to reach 3.840ghz. The attachment shows it as 3.9 volt, but I believe the BIOS first.

Edited by Cespenar

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, more voltage equates to more stability. Yes, you will probably be able to get it higher with more voltage, just watch the temps. Some others may be able to provide some specific tweaks to AMD MBs that I am not familiar with though.

That board has good VRM cooling so you should be okay pushing it further. As long as you have a good CPU cooler (that keeps it under 70 C using IntelBurnTest, OCCT, or Prime95) you should be able to push up to 1.5 volts without worrying about any serious long-term damage. AMD says up to 1.55 volts is safe, but that's the ragged edge of starting to degrade your CPU over time.

Did you try to drop the fsb down and raise the multy higher with a raised voltage, that way memory and ht won't be running as high which could be your problem, that's what worked for me .:biggrin:

Did you try to drop the fsb down and raise the multy higher with a raised voltage, that way memory and ht won't be running as high which could be your problem, that's what worked for me .:biggrin:

He's got a black edition chip - there's no reason to touch the FSB at all. Raising the multiplier doesn't change the HT bus or the memory speed.

He's got a black edition chip - there's no reason to touch the FSB at all. Raising the multiplier doesn't change the HT bus or the memory speed.

Duh, I know that but in his posted pic the fsb is cranked right up which means his memory is running higher as well as his ht.:biggrin:

OP should increase vocre to (say) 1.46V and gradually to 1.48V without worrying.

I just checked the specification of the board. It is pretty good board for overclocking. And the temperature is also looking good!

Duh, I know that but in his posted pic the fsb is cranked right up which means his memory is running higher as well as his ht.:biggrin:

Ah, I didn't even notice that.

I'd just set it down at 200 MHz and work with the multiplier.

Ah, I didn't even notice that.

I'd just set it down at 200 MHz and work with the multiplier.

That's the same way I'd do it, seems every phenom 2 I've had didn't like havivg fsb pass 205 mhz.

That's the same way I'd do it, seems every phenom 2 I've had didn't like havivg fsb pass 205 mhz.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had the CPU voltage at 1.45 in the BIOS. Not good enough for 3DMark11 basic. After reading your replies I took it right to 1.5 volt and here is the screen shot. One other thing ... I don't want to do stress testing. I just want to see if it helps run the 670GTX FTW.

As for the RAM it is supposed to run at 1600 so the setup was done to enable that. The ram is Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 @ 9/9/9/24/ 32/ T2

Edited by Cespenar

If you're not going to do any stress testing then there's no real point in trying to help you overclock. You're just going to corrupt your Windows install (and possible all the stuff on your HDD) if you blindly overclock.

The original 965 was 17 X 200. When I did the Lordred thing I went straight to 16 X 240. Stable as anything. I decided to run OCCT to check the temps and they look really good. Do you think I could go from 16.5 to 17 now?

That 3.3 volt reading has always been weird. Could it be a faulty sender on the motherboard? I don't want to go any higher for the hell of it. If it makes no diff to the video card and games I will put it back to the original O/C.

Edited by Cespenar